strategies to help spell name correctly??? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

strategies to help spell name correctly???

>

vic

strategies to help spell name correctly???
Old 03-27-2009, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need some new strategies that will help a child who is 5 to learn how to spell her name in the correct order. She has 6 letters in her name and she is able to identify all the letters individually but is struggling to put them in the right order in her name. Her name starts with an A and ends with s. She always says that her name starts with S but when she writes it always starts with A.

I have tried to help her spell it by repeating each letter after me over and over, done the names on letter cards, cheering her name, doing cutting each letter apart and putting back together. Does anyone have any other ideas? I have never had this situation before and need some new inventive strategies. All but 2 other kids in my room are able to spell there name in the correct order now. one of these kids has other learning problems, but this child does not. Please help if you can?

vic is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrtonya

name
Old 03-27-2009, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

IMO it is still okay to be making these mistakes. Just keep reinforcing it.

I had a 5 yo that was in kinder that couldn't remember the H in his name. I would sing his name to the tune of Bingo and have him just say the H. Eventually, he got it, but it took a little while.

Tactile letters? Daily sign in? We have our kids sign their name every day when they come in.

Good luck with this, but I wouldn't stress out at this point.
tchrtonya is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 03-27-2009, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My daughter's name has nine letters. When she was learning to spell her name, I started to sing it to her. Eventually she was singing as she wrote her name. Worked great for her.

When I was a three, our family name was on a plaque on the screen door. My grandmother had my sister and I tracing the letters with our fingers and reciting those letters to her. At the age of three, we could spell a nine letter last name, and new it was our last name.

Last year I worked with a child with Fragile X. Remembering my childhood experience of learning to spell my last name, I came up with a plan to help this child learn to spell his first name, which has seven letters. I wrote his name in liquid glue and laid red yarn in the glue to dry. For the first several times, I had him trace his name with his pointer finger and repeat each letter after me. When this activity seemed a bit old, I cut apart the letters and put them on the board in correct order. I made a second set of letters and had him match each letter to his name, saying each letter. Progress was slow, because of the Fragile X, but it was working.

OF course, it's also good to have the child support their elbow with the other hand, and practice writing their name in the air.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Alicia G

Old 03-27-2009, 09:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I wish I knew a good answer, but that's a real stumper

ICLAAI
Alicia G is offline   Reply With Quote

kali

name tag/magnetic letters
Old 03-29-2009, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Could you give her a name tag and the magnetic letters in her name. Have her several times a day match the magnetic letter to her name. So it is 1-1 matching. Also, maybe for now anytime she needs to write her name, you make sure to write the A for her, since she keeps getting mixed up on her first letter, allow her to write the rest. It seems like you have tried lots of good strategies, so the big one is just make sure she has a name tag to copy her name at all times. Also, ask her parents to put her name on the fridge with magnetic letters and every morning have them have her point to the letters in her name and say them aloud.

kali is offline   Reply With Quote

vic

Old 03-29-2009, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for the great suggestions...I will be trying them this week. I am worried about her going on next year.
vic is offline   Reply With Quote

happytosub

Old 03-29-2009, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm no expert but dyslexia is a possiblilty...She is probably answering that her name starts with S by memory.
happytosub is offline   Reply With Quote
btnsb

btnsb

Clothes Pins
Old 03-29-2009, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My son's preschool teacher sent home clothes pins attached to a popsicle stick. Each clothes pin had a letter of his name on it (the backside had his last name on it). He loves it!

Scbydee794

same problem
Old 03-29-2009, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi, I have a student who has 8 letter in his name and still cannot write it. I hate to say he is the only one of 88 students.
I try have him write and spell, sandpaper letters, daily sign it. Research Montessori materials they have alot of manipulatives that help them develop directionality. GOOD LUCK.!!!
Scbydee794 is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 03-31-2009, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Sounds like you are doing things already. Many good ideas here also. I guess asking her to fix it after she has done it incorrectly (copying the card), I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt dyslexia.

Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

SueHue

Old 04-08-2009, 11:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Are you asking her to just spell her name, or are you specifically asking her which letter her name begins with? For example, if her name was Daisy, does she spell it "Y-s-i-a-d"? Or is she just incorrectly telling you her name starts with Y? Just curious! My students have a hard time when I say, "If your name starts with L, line up." If there is an L anywhere in their name, they line up. They just don't know exactly what I mean sometimes.
SueHue is offline   Reply With Quote