Help

Gifted Education

Differentiation Math for K and gr 1

>

MizBee

Differentiation Math for K and gr 1
Old 03-25-2009, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you do to enrich young, highly capable math students in the regular classroom?

Math is the most difficult subject for our teachers to differentiate for our gifted learners. I am wondering what others do or suggest, other than acceleration.

I like to stay away from having students work on the computer, unless it's very meaningful and able to be tracked.

I also like to stay away from worksheets.

What do you think?

MizBee is offline   Reply With Quote

dash

Old 03-25-2009, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I found a great website mathstories.com -- and use it sometimes with my young students. All the problems are based on your state's standards, and are written in a story form. You have to pay a membership to be able to access all the stuff ( i think it is $24-26)
I also use NCTM Illumintions to get some ideas.
Play games - dice, cards, etc.
hope that helps
dash is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Why not acceleration?
Old 03-25-2009, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Just out of curiousity... my primary method of differentiation in math is acceleration. I just take the kids to the next level of what we're doing... it's a natural progression.

One thing my students do enjoy using, and you could set it up as a center type activity is Versa-Tiles. They're self guided and self-checking once students learn to use them. I have a set of third grade tiles (I keep saying I'm going to buy more.. ) but I have used them with first, second and third at various levels... and even fourth for remediation in Title 1. I've yet to find a student who doesn't love them!
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

MizBee

Old 03-29-2009, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks. I will look into these further. We don't currently have funding, so that is also a barrier.

When we talk about acceleration at our schools, we think of moving a child into another classroom not working with them on advanced content within their classrooms.

Like most places, it is very controversial. I am new, so i am picking my battles.
MizBee is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Versatiles CD
Old 04-16-2009, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm looking into getting the CD-version of the math tiles next year. It is 700.00, but it is a site license for EVERY computer in your school AND it's for grades 1 through 8! That means for 700.00 I can serve EVERY student in our school - GT, regular, Title, SpED, etc.. and they can work at their own level! And my GT kids can work up to four years above their grade level with the one CD.

I'm going to try to talk the principal here into splitting the cost with me (350.00 from her budget, 350.00 from mine) since everyone will benefit... but if not, I'm going to ask for the whole thing out of my budget! I think it would be a great tool for our kids to have for enrichment, extension, review, reteaching, etc.

yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote