Should I bring this up in an interview??? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Job Search

Should I bring this up in an interview???

>

kalsemo

kalsemo

Should I bring this up in an interview???
Old 10-25-2005, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Please help, any advice would be appreciated. I recently took off some time from classroom teaching. Needless to say, my years of teaching (6) were not rosy, which is why I decided to take a breather. One year in particular, after moving to a new district across the state, I was so distraught in the classroom that I only lasted there three weeks!

I know now that teaching is just not for me, but I am still interested in coming back to the field of education, just in a non-classroom setting.

My question is, I have an interview later this week for a wonderful administrative position at a local district's main admin. building.... should I mention that I lasted three weeks in one district? Am I legally obligated to disclose this information on my formal application? (I had sent them an initial resume without that "blip" on my record).

Please advise, I don't want to mess up this opportunity.

Nic

Not to lie but...
Old 10-25-2005, 09:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is it possible that maybe you had family obigations you had to attend to for a while? Kids who needed a full time parent? Parents who needed help? Could you perhaps have had a move because of a spouse's job? Were you working on a book or other project at the time that required your full time attention? I don't mean to deliberately lie about something...but if you had another possible reason for quitting? The thing is, they'll call all your old districts to verify employment so they'll find out you quit after a few weeks. If you don't include that district with your application, that may find out anyway, then you've withheld information from them. So it would be better if you could somehow put a positive spin on it. Just a thought.
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
kalsemo

kalsemo

thanks for the suggestions
Old 10-26-2005, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for the suggestions!!! My concern is, though, should I even bring it up in the interview at all? I didn't write it on my resume, so how would I bring it up in the conversation during an interview.... "By the way...." ????

Any thoughts? Has anyone gone through something similar???

Jen

question
Old 10-27-2005, 01:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just had an interview and had the same quandary. Two years ago I moved to this new State before my husband who was supposed to join me but the move was postponed. I had started a new job but it was so stressful and I resigned to move back after a couple of weeks. The second year, we did finally move and I got another job. This time it was also a difficult situation, very stressful and maybe all the moving did not prepare me for being strong enough, plus my son died a few years previously and I was, and still am, grieving.
Anyway I resigned again, after a few weeks and took two years off. I just started subbing and an opportunity came up to finish the rest of this year for a maternity leave situation. In the interview I did bring up my last job and explained how I realized I had taken on too much and need to take a complete break. The Principal thanked me for bringing it up. I am at present waiting to hear her final decision about me staying. I love the class and am doing so well. I hope I get to stay.
Good luck. I say, share your history but put it in a neat, positive way. Short but sweet. Everyone has glitches in their careers.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

interview
Old 11-28-2005, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

No I wouldn't bring it up. If it doesn't pertain to how you will work on this job I don't see it as necessary information. Just learn from it on move ahead.

Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote