Help

The Job Search

what do you say when asked?

>

*Annie*

what do you say when asked?
Old 09-09-2006, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm starting to run into parents of my kids' classmates and of course they ask, "so did you find a teaching job?" They just give me a blank stare when I say no and I feel like I have to explain myself. In the past I've said, no..still subbing...but I don't even know if I can bring myself to sub this year...this whole process has taken its toll on me. Even my husband and family don't really "get it" even though they know all my job hunting stories (all 5 yrs of them) and all the games the districts play. So I'm wondering what do you all say when you are asked? I'm tired of walking away feeling like a total loser.

*Annie* is offline   Reply With Quote

sheri

I "get it"
Old 09-09-2006, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have subbed, worked in private school, and am now back to subbing. Since I love teaching regardless of the circumstances, I will continue to sub, but I know how the questions make you feel. Here is something I hope will make you feel better. The last interview I had was for one position after the start of the school year and there were at least 50 people interviewed. Imhistory has a post on this topic on 9/8 that may comfort you too. Hang in there *Annie* and don't feel like a loser. Your value as a human being is not tied to your employment status and you are not alone in experiencing a fruitless job search.

Sheri
sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
IWannaB1

IWannaB1

*sigh*
Old 09-09-2006, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Same here -- that is why I avoid seeing people, I just drop off my kid at school and hi-tail it out of there and I made arrangements w/her to pick her up at the back where it is less crowded.

I basically hide from people all day -- I gave up my Starbucks and go out of my way to go to a different grocery store. I used to run into parents I met while subbing/student teaching and it just gets too hard. I get all watery eyed and upset.

I hate being such a super loser. I can't face subbing as I know that people snicker and say "oh, still no JOB??????????????????"

Rowe

Old 09-14-2006, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Here are some questions that I have for people who are not getting hired for teaching positions: How many applications do you send out per week? When you are called in for an interview, how well prepared are you for the interviews? After the interview is over, do you ask for feedback? What seems to be the most difficult questions to answer when you are being interviewed? What have you done to make answering these questions easier? And finally, what have you done to make yourself more marketable as a competent and dedicated teacher?
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach_MI

Believe in yourself!
Old 09-14-2006, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

IWannaB1,
I've read a few of your posts, and you sound VERY negative and down in the dumps. Try to be proud of what you have accomplished! Many people don't get the opportunity to get a college degree, you did that and more! Good things will come for you, but you have to believe that. I don't think teachers laugh at substitutes - many of them were in our shoes at one time. It's a hard job that not everyone can do - but you CAN. Try to think better thoughts about yourself. A positive outlook does shine through in interviews, you'll want that when the time comes.
Good luck and keep your chin up!

Teach_MI is offline   Reply With Quote

*Annie*

some answers for Rowe
Old 09-15-2006, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Well, I don't count it by week how many applications I send out. It depends on the time of year really. I have just sent to almost all districts within a 50 mile radius. And then to specific job postings as I see them.
2. I study very hard for each interview (probably too much) and it doesn't seem to help any.
3. No, I've never asked for feedback. You can see it in their body language. (half the interviews weren't real anyway).
4. The most difficult questions? I guess are the ones that are worded strangely. Later on I figure out what they were really asking. You have to be a politician really - able to answer a question no matter how it's worded. I practice and stuff, but there's only so much you can do to prepare.
5. I've made myself marketable by being available for any type of job. I've been a tutor (at a school), a sp. ed long-term sub in a middle school (I'm elem cert.), long-term sub for maternity leaves, daily sub.

I was under the impression these things would get my foot in the door. Wrong! These were at different districts too and the only good to come out of any of it were reference letters. But what I really needed was for one principal, just one, to pick up the phone and say, hey, I've got a great teacher here....heard you have an opening. I hate to sound pessimistic, but really, it is so political, it's shameful. In my opinion, they hire someone whose no smarter than they are and someone they can "mold." (this is for elem level since there's such a surplus of us). Good news is someone my age did get hired this yr but a principal called her directly (she had worked as an aide the yr before). So...I guess it can happen, but it's not happening to me. Just be aware that it is not You......not ever....it's a lot about power and making their own lives easier, so just keep your eyes wide open is my advice.
*Annie* is offline   Reply With Quote

Rowe

Thank You!!!
Old 09-18-2006, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This advice was very thorough, and helpful! I'm learning a lot from the members of this forum.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote

Judy24

Special Service position
Old 09-25-2006, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In my area Illinois we can't find enough special ed or bilingual teachers. I started as a special ed teacher, but jumped ship after 5 years to a gen ed position at the same school. Maybe applying directly to the spec. ed. coop, if there is one, would help.
Judy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Bertie

Bertie

how about..
Old 09-25-2006, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

....if you just say "I've chosen to sub this year again, I just LOVE subbing... I love the freedom, the challenges, the variety...it energizes me!! And you?....."