The Job Search

Is anyone still looking for a job?

>

Hopeful2008

Hopeful2008

Is anyone still looking for a job?
Old 08-11-2008, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am still looking for a job and I feel silly to be looking so close to the beginning of the school year. Everytime I walk into a school, I feel like the people are thinking

"Does she seriously think we have a job for her? School starts in 2 weeks!"

I just wanted to know if anyone else feels this way.

flutetoot

Old 08-11-2008, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hopeful

I know I do. Part of me is ready to throw in the towel, but another part remains hopeful that something will happen. We shall see which one wins...
flutetoot is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 08-11-2008, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Don't give up yet! Last year I got my job on a Wednesday, and teachers started back on the following Monday. Three of our title teachers were hired after school started.
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

jet setter

I'm still looking
Old 08-11-2008, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Count me in the list of people still looking. School for us starts tomorrow, Wed and Thursday. I'm hopeful that there will be kids who didn't enroll, they'll show up and throw off class counts and they'll need to hire some more teachers. Otherwise it looks like I'll be subbing.
jet setter is offline   Reply With Quote

dusty

still looking
Old 08-11-2008, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I haven't had any offers and barely
any interviews. I don't seem to
Experience the so called last minute
openings that people say pop up in august.
Hoping for a miracle.

dusty is offline   Reply With Quote

babylove

Still Looking Too!
Old 08-11-2008, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am still looking and moving to a bigger metroplex to help the search. But I'm not sure it's working. I have 6 years and this is the first time I have been in this position. Well, except for my first year. I walked in a high school with a science degree and walked out with a job for special education math the Friday before school started on Monday. To Top it off I had another two weeks before I finished school and got to walk into the classroom. So I know it can happen, but it needs to happen fast.
babylove is offline   Reply With Quote

laughoften

Still
Old 08-11-2008, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Looking too.. I'm glad you started this thread, it's nice to know I'm not the only lonely one out there
laughoften is offline   Reply With Quote

scout475

Old 08-11-2008, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am still looking and keep thinking that it is way too late. However, many people have told me that teaching jobs can come at the last minute so I am trying to remain hopeful.
scout475 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 08-11-2008, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've mentioned this before, but I don't know if any of you were around then. If you are able to and interested in moving come to NC!!!! There is a huge teacher shortage and schools are hiring until the last minute and in some cases after the year has started. The population is growing faster than we can train teachers here. PM me if you want any info.
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceK

Old 08-11-2008, 10:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Good luck!! My best friend thought for sure she wouldn't get a job and she ended up getting a (dream) job two days before school started. I'm sure no one is thinking that as you continue looking for a job-- and I hope you get one soon!

GraceK is offline   Reply With Quote

3rdgradedawg

Don't Give up
Old 08-12-2008, 04:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Our district is still shifting in house right now. There are going to be jobs, but they have to wait until they give the people in the district the chance to apply. It's a long process and sometimes goes into the first few weeks of school. Don't give up! Even if you don't get one this year, you can sub. Being a sub gave me so many good ideas that I now use in the classroom.
3rdgradedawg is offline   Reply With Quote

bluesasha19

Politics wins over for me...
Old 08-12-2008, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

So, I had a great second interview yesterday. The assistant superintendent evan asked if they should be aware of any other opportunities I was applying for elsewhere. There is one, but I am waiting. Said they would let me know by the board meeting last night. No call, after staying by the phone all day. The position went to the school board's business mangers wife. I wouldn't be so upset, but all the hype around was about me and out of 5 openings 4 of them went to board members wives or close relatives. ERRRRR.

So I am still looking. I am also getting really frustrated because I also have to think child care and such if I do get a last minute job.

Oh well, that is my vent. Hope all of you that posted are having some luck.
bluesasha19 is offline   Reply With Quote

KC14

Still looking here also...
Old 08-12-2008, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Although I know many jobs do open up during the last few weeks, I am also losing hope. I am not giving up though. We still have 3 weeks to go and I am going to try until the end. I pass a teacher supply store a few times a week and it kills me that I can't go in to buy things but I have not idea what (if anything) I will need. I want to be setting up a room and getting ideas for creative plans. Any day now would be good. Good luck to all of you.
KC14 is offline   Reply With Quote

NC5th

Also still looking...
Old 08-12-2008, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I had an interview last week. Afterwards, I received an email saying they wanted me to take an online personality/aptitude test. I took that on Thursday night. I received an email on Friday from the superintendent saying he'd received the results and was passing them onto the principal. Unfortunately, she's out of town until tomorrow. So, the waiting game goes on and on and on...

I, too, have children. I have a daughter who is going into first grade. I haven't enrolled her anywhere yet, because I'm still holding out hope that I'll get a job. I have no daycare for my 2 year old. I'm staying with my in-laws (we just moved back to our home state of Michigan) because I didn't want to sign a lease somewhere and then find a teaching job 2 hours away. So, trust me, I'm feeling the pain and wishing that something would happen. I guess it's just my personality, but I WILL NOT give up on this!
NC5th is offline   Reply With Quote

blueheron

Well, sort of....
Old 08-12-2008, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I really haven't made much effort lately because I've been very busy with professional development. Also, after putting in more than 60 applications, I just burnt out on the job search. As it stands now, I'll be substituting next year. I'll probably put in some applications after the union opens them up to general application.
blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote

short_bread

Me Too
Old 08-12-2008, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Hi,

Yeah I am still looking for a job. I've been looking for three weeks and I haven't even gotten a single interview. Its really depressing.
short_bread is offline   Reply With Quote

Jumping Jessi

IMHopeful2
Old 08-12-2008, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Whewwwww!

I'm glad that I'm not the only one. I, too cringe at the sight of seeing teachers at the down the street getting thier classrooms ready and I can't. I also have a child that goes to a school that wears uniforms and I still haven't bought any in hopes that I would find a job and she would then go to my school. I don't want to buy all these uniforms then she ends up tranferring to a that has different colors.

And............................

I want to have a classroom before the students get there, otherwise I feel like I'll have to deal with parents that feel their children were better off with the "first teacher" that they had. Oh well.

Does anyone else feel as though they are on standby.
Just waiting around for someone to quit or just not show up?
Jumping Jessi is offline   Reply With Quote

laughoften

Old 08-12-2008, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I'll post on this again, no problem. I feel like I'm not being given a chance and that with all the applications I've sent out, no interviews make me feel like it's me that's doing something wrong. I can nail an interview, as some of you know I was offered a position in June and I turned it down (I still don't regret it though!) it's just a matter of getting the interview.

I haven't asked this because I'm not sure I want the answer, but how long after a deadline date are contacts and interviews then made? Deadlines were last Weds for a few of the places I've applied to and I haven't heard anything.

This process truly does nothing for your self-esteem, self worth or optimistic outlook.
laughoften is offline   Reply With Quote

Jumping Jessi

Laugh Often
Old 08-12-2008, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I once applied for a medical job in June the deadline was the last day in June, I waited and called and waited and called and still nothing, So........... I decided to start substitute teaching and I got a long term substituting position in the middle of August and on my 1st week of school...............Guess who called?

The medical office.

I almost laughed at them when they called and wanted to tell them "Are you serious, I made sure I met your deadline then waited 2 months for you to call and now you guys actually think I'm going to quit a job I already have just to come work for you........Yeah Right.

I think many times employers think that we are the ones that are lucky to work for them, but in my case they would've been the lucky ones because I was applying for a position that I was undoubtedly qualified for and on top of all of that I was determined to do the best that I could and bring nothing but positive energy to their business. So needless to say they lost out. Not me.

Sorry for ranting but anyway like I stated above I have waited 2 months to hear anything.

What they must do is
look at all the applicants (Who knows how long this takes)
Place them in order of who they want to hire 1st, then go to last.
Call the applicants in order so that they get the best possible applicant.
Jumping Jessi is offline   Reply With Quote

mls

Now is the time...
Old 08-13-2008, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I am completely in a holding pattern, as some have mentioned. In Michigan, we have school of choice for public schools (kids can move around between districts within a county). I've been told that until the final numbers come in- can even be 2 weeks into the school year, not all positions will be posted. Everyone is in a money crunch, so they are waiting until the last possible minute just in case enrollment drops. I had an interview in June for 2 different positions and was told that they cannot hire until late August. In the meantime, I just watch for new postings every day. I'm not picky either! If it's within 30 minutes of home, I apply. Good luck to all! You're not the only one!
mls is offline   Reply With Quote

feleciayoung

Where are you looking?
Old 08-13-2008, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

www.rss.k12.nc.us Our district still have some openings.
feleciayoung is offline   Reply With Quote

Mmckie2000

Keep looking
Old 08-13-2008, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Unfortunately, I had already signed a contract and had to stop looking, but I am getting calls from another district and school started on Monday. Just keep looking!

Good Luck!
Mmckie2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinder1

Still looking....
Old 08-13-2008, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I was a Kindergarten teacher last year and loved it, but didn't like the school and wanted to move closer to home. Needless to say, I didn't sign the contract and now I didn't get another opportunity. I do have 2 offers that I'm probably going to do one is a tutor for a school district that pays $15 hour, but they can't guarantee more than 20 hours. My other option is a pre-k aide for a private school. Still crossing fingers though hoping something else will come up!
Kinder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mom1teach

Where in NC
Old 08-13-2008, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I am not usually someone who gets depressed but this is hard. Can't get a job in Florida.
mom1teach is offline   Reply With Quote

feleciayoung

Where in NC
Old 08-14-2008, 04:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I am in a town called Salisbury NC. It is about 30 miles north of Charlotte NC and 30 miles south of Greensboro. I moved here about seven years ago and really like it. The town is not too small and not too big. It is increasingly growing.

But there a lot of openings in the surrounding areas also. If you go to www.ncdpi.com and look under employment you can search for teaching jobs all over NC.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Felecia
feleciayoung is offline   Reply With Quote
janeteacher

janeteacher

Old 08-15-2008, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I, too, am still looking. I taught fourth grade for two years, loved it, but took a year off for family reasons. Subbed last year in a large district. Was on the fence about subbing or looking for a full time position this year, and started sending out resumes in August. Now I'd LOVE to get a job, but so far, nothing.

I do know there is some hiring still going on in my area (New England) and school starts in two weeks. Good luck to all of us! I'm okay with subbing for another year, but it sure would be nice to get an interview.

Jenn81

Where in NE?
Old 08-17-2008, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Hi,

I'm in the same boat. It looks like another year of subbing for me too. I live in RI, which seems impossible to get my foot in the door!

jenn
Jenn81 is offline   Reply With Quote
also looking

also looking

Ha!
Old 08-22-2008, 04:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I know what you mean. I had an interview yesterday. I had one on Tuesday. The principal told me she'd let me know of her decision on Monday. Oh, yeah, and did I tell you that school starts on Monday???

d-lux-kandi

Old 07-18-2009, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I am in the same position too. I went on several interviews and two of them hired someone else. I am very frustrated because school is starting in two weeks. I renewed a lease and found out two weeks later that I wouldn't have my job. I had to scramble and fill out all these applications and still no job. I have three kids and it is hurtful when they are wondering what school they will be attending. I am still hopeful though. Good luck to all of us.
d-lux-kandi is offline   Reply With Quote