Extremely Nervous About New ESL Position!! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

ESL/LEP

Extremely Nervous About New ESL Position!!

>

RUBYjean

Extremely Nervous About New ESL Position!!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The last 36 hours have been crazy! I have taught 5th and 2nd grade regular ed classrooms for the last 4 years, but yesterday recieved a call from my principal asking if I would take on a brand new position as 3rd-5th ELD teacher. These students will be mine for the majority of the day learning language arts. I have no curriculum, only supplements and the ELP standards. It's really overwhelming, but I've decided to break up the months into thematic units (Weather, Colonial America, Ancient Egypt, etc.) and integrate the standards into the lessons. I see how I am a product of data-driven, curriculum-based teaching! I have become instantly petrified to actually teach!

My question now is, is this the best way to approach this? Has anyone ever had to do this? Did you do any thematic units that you want to share for this level of students? Any books you would recommend that I should buy? School starts in 3 weeks!

RUBYjean is offline   Reply With Quote

read&see

Old 07-22-2009, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Using your standards as a base for what to teach is a great idea.
Do you know what levels the students are as far as learning English? Are they a mix of non-speakers and limited speakers? Have they been in your school system a while? Have they had prior schooling?

You said thy will be with you for language arts. Does your principal want you to focus on that? You can combine themes and reading but also give instruction for specific skills students may be lacking.
read&see is offline   Reply With Quote

read&see

Old 07-22-2009, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Some useful websites:

subscription: http://www.enchantedlearning.com
http://www.abcteach.com
http://www.edhelper.com

Giant power point website: http://www.pppst.com
social studies: http://www.peachebooks.com

more esl resources: http://www.rong-chang/lsnplan.htm

Will you be pulling students out at various times of the day or going into the classrooms?
read&see is offline   Reply With Quote

daisyflower

Old 07-22-2009, 09:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sounds similar to my first job. I used the National TESOL and state ELD standards to create lessons that would meet mt students needs as well as the standards. I had no curriculum and had never taught full time before. I used Dave's ESL cafe internet site a lot. Also, the TESOL/TEFL internet site, Boggles's world, which is now called Lantern Fish ESL, EverythingESL, and Colorin Colorado, were very helpful sites. The state TESOL conference is in November in most states. Definitely attend if at all possible, it really helped me a LOT. I LOVED teaching ESL/ELD, I hope you will love it too.
daisyflower is offline   Reply With Quote

Iluvtoteach2

ESL Position
Old 07-23-2009, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Teaching through thematic units is a great idea. I recommend you look into learning about creating content objectives and language objectives for your lessons. You can look at the ELP standards to determine what language objectives you will need to work on. You will be using the content you teach to scaffold your students' language learning. You will need to focus on developing your students speaking, listening, reading, and writing proficiency during the time they are with you. You have a big job ahead of you, but I know you will do a great job because you are taking it very seriously and it sounds like you what to do your best. I recommend the following books (perhaps you can go to google books or scholar to preview them):
Fifty Strategies for Teaching English Language Learners (3rd Ed) by Adrienne E. Herrell
Making Content Comprehensible for English Language Learners: The SIOP Model (3rd Ed) by Jana A. Echevarria, Mary Ellen J. Vogt, and Deborah Short
99 Ideas and Activities for Teaching English Learners with the SIOP Model by MaryEllen Vogt and Jana A. Echevarria
The SIOP Model for teaching English-Language Arts to English Learners by the same authors
Classroom Instruction that Works with English Language Learners by Jane D. Hill and Kathleen M. Flynn

Okay I hope this helps! If there is anything you need help with let me know I am not an expert, but I can try to help. You can send me a PM!

Iluvtoteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

RUBYjean

Old 07-23-2009, 11:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you for all your advice! I will be looking into all the internet sites you recommended and the books, too! The word on the street is that these classrooms are very rewarding, I hope that I can maintain that atmosphere. My students are mostly intermediate, with a few scoring basic in some categories, but they are probably the students that will slip through the cracks. Thank you, again!
RUBYjean is offline   Reply With Quote

bonnybelle

Old 07-24-2009, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Bring those standards with you to your new assignment. You will want to look at the GLAD methodology of teaching. It provides structure for ELL and mainstreamed students as well.

Use them to create vocabulary enriching lessons which emphasize oral language at the beginning of the year. Create lots of opportunity to tell the story using illustrations and be sure to interview students about their ideas. Model this and then you can surrender the interview step to partners. The illustrations will provide immediate feedback if students have captured the the concepts.

You will discover your data drive instruction will still work, but sometimes the progress will look different than what you are expecting.
You were selected for this very important and special job. Keep in mind that even thought are beginning to speak English they 'may not have the hooks to hang all the concepts on'. You need to become "a master hook hanger" to develop vocabulary and oral language. Tall task you have here, but should be very rewarding in the end. KUP
bonnybelle is offline   Reply With Quote