Help

Gifted Education

Communication ideas

>

jetgirl

Communication ideas
Old 07-13-2009, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This year I will have mostly 5th grade gifted students; different group each day. The question I have is this: do you have some ideas to send my way that will involve the students themselves in communication between home and their gifted class? Newsletters are emailed and/or sent home with the students. There isn't enough time in the day for them to create their own class newsletter but I am open to other ideas.
Thanks!

jetgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

LVE2TEACH

Journal writing?
Old 07-21-2009, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have been teaching 5th grade for five years, and now am moving into a gifted education position for only 4th grade. I was wondering if you could have the kids journal/reflect or write letters to their parents regarding what is going on in their class. They could be required to do this after their time with you. Then you could ask them to share this with someone at home, and have the person they share it with respond in a letter back to the student. Each week when they see you, you could spend a quick 5 minutes checking that they completed the assignment and also see if the parents have any comments or questions for you.
LVE2TEACH is offline   Reply With Quote

MizBee

Parent Communication for Gifted Pull Out
Old 07-23-2009, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am also considering this question for the upcoming year. Have you come up with any ideas since your post?

One thing I have considered is having a blog on which one student is assigned to share about class each session. Parents can log on to read about our class and comment or email with questions.

Something I already do is have the students keep portfolios. Periodically, we stop class and have students choose items for their portfolios. Each item must be coupled with a description of why they chose it to keep forever and how it shows their growth. The portfolio goes home twice a year for paretns to see and sign.

I am looking forward to hearing your ideas!
MizBee is offline   Reply With Quote

jetgirl

Still Thinking
Old 07-23-2009, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am still considering my options.
The idea of journaling/writing letters and combining that with the portfolio idea is what I am trying to workout. I love to have students journal so that wouldn't be hard to implement.

If I decide to incorporate the portfolio idea with a journal, I'm thinking that the notebook will have to be some kind of binder or folder with pockets. That way they can keep everything organized, right?

Then I am wondering about the logistics: student goes home with portfolio, shares with parents, and then the student brings the portfolio back to school with, hopefully, a parent comment/signature.

Is this the direction you were going? Or have you got another idea?

I'm open.

Thanks!
jetgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

MizBee

Old 07-24-2009, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Definitely. I just use regular folders now. I'm considering purchasing binders for each student. I find the folders get torn as the years progress, some students write on them, etc.

If you get journals with 3 hole punch, they could be placed in the binders. They will still need pockets inside, most likely... still thinking this through myself!

MizBee is offline   Reply With Quote