ESL/LEP

Middle School ESL Teacher

>

Miss R

Middle School ESL Teacher
Old 07-19-2009, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,

This coming school year, I will be a first time ESL Resource Teacher at a middle school. I was just curious as to what ESL looks like in other middle schools.

What are the ESL teacher's responsibilities?

What does the ESL teacher's schedule look like?

Are you push-in or pull-out program?

Thanks!

Miss R is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 07-22-2009, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This year, RtI caused me to change from pull-out all the time to mostly push in. When I was pull-out, I was pretty much in charge of what the students did. It was stressful to plan ten different lessons for ten different levels each day! Then, I decided my upper level kids could really just use me as a resource, so I told their teachers that any work they didn't understand or did not complete could be brought to me. We went over concepts in simpler terms, and did work at a slower pace. I had to arrange for students to have longer time to turn in work before they were penalized, but it worked very well.

Now I have one student who is pull out, because he is a sped student. The rest of my students are much more push-in. I go into their classroom during their time and work side by side with them four days of the week. On Fridays, I pull them out for review and discussion. Was there anything they didn't understand, any homework they did not complete, and projects they need help with? It is very important to me that ESL students learn to be independent, a skill that has sorely lacked here. They all suffered terribly from learned helplessness when I arrived and the problem is not yet eradicated, but it has lessened.

This upcoming year, I will have 6 new kids coming in. So I am doing push-in for the ones that are returning from last year. And I am doing small group pull-out for the new children, because not only are they in the same grade, they are around the same level.

So I guess my school is a mix of the two. As for responsibilities? Well, I have an aide and her job is basically to translate, but she's terrible. I don't trust her, she doesn't tell me the truth, and she hates that I am in charge due to age difference (I'm younger). I don't let her do much anymore...my responsibilities include translating at any time--for p/t conferences, phone calls, registration, letters that go home, nurse announcements--anything that needs to be translated, I do. EXCEPT for privacy practices, because I am not versed in Spanish legalese. I work closely with parents on a PAC committee to involve Spanish speaking parents in the school. I make lessons when necessary, do testing, keep teachers apprised of student progress, and often spend time in the classroom with students.

Keep in mind, I have 10 students in the morning at one school and travel to another where I have 8...so if you have a big class, these things may be more difficult. Good luck!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

eslteacher99

Need more info!
Old 07-26-2009, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Miss R;
What to expect will depend on your school and how they "do" ESL. It is determined by your ESL population and what other duties you may have. As the other poster responded, her situation is likely very different because it is unique. I met another woman at a graduate class who had similar responsibilities because of the very low ESL population. My experience was completely different because I work in a very large urban school district. The best people to answer your question should be at your school building. They should tell you who your mentor will be for the upcoming school year - ask for a phone number and email - and then don't be afraid to use them!!!
Good Luck!
eslteacher99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss R

Old 07-28-2009, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for your responses!

Yay! I finally got some answers as to what the program will look like for me. So far I know...

-I have a case load of about 25 students ranging from 6-8th grade.

-I have 4 students whom I will see for Language Arts (reading, writing, spelling, grammar, etc.) for 80 minutes everyday.

-I have three "Resource" periods at the end of the day where students come to me for help with homework, reteaching of concepts, etc.

-I have two periods where I push-in into students' classrooms for assistance with content instruction.

This information definitely puts me at ease because at least I know where I stand. Now I just need to talk with the ESL Administrator and ask about curriculum, programs, and my other pondering questions.

Since we're talking about questions, and you're both in ESL, I thought I'd take this opportunity to ask you a few questions:

-What sort of bulletin boards do you put up?
-Do you use word walls?
-I'd like to incorporate like a question of the day or vocabulary trivia. Do you know of any resources?

Thanks so much for your assistance!

Miss R

Opps...
Old 07-29-2009, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I take it back...I actually have a case load of 15 ELL students. I was including my Advisory/Homeroom group into the 25.

Wow...15...that's definitely A LOT smaller than I was expecting. However, as the year progresses that number may change. As for now, I'm perfectly ecstatic with just 15!