Help

Gifted Education

Co-teaching Advice (long)

>

janiebird19

Co-teaching Advice (long)
Old 08-09-2009, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just found out last week that they have added a 3rd grade to our school. This is great because the class size for this group needed to be lowered. However, this means that my classroom is no longer my classroom and I will be placed in a much smaller space (My room was only half of a regular classroom and the intervention teachers who were in the other half are also being relocated to make one normal sized 3rd grade classroom.)

It also means that I will not have a classroom of my own and will need to work with the advanced students within their regular classrooms. I work with the intermediate GT students in my school (grades 3-5) and my focus is supposed to be Math and Reading/ELA. Our school is very large and this means coordinating a schedule with 18 different teachers in order to work with my students.

I want to be prepared for my discussion with my principal concerning how I am going to serve this many different classes. I plan to suggest that we cluster group high ability children for math and reading at each grade level so that I can co-teach with the teacher at each grade level who is working with the advanced readers or advanced math students. This would mean that rather than trying to push in to 36 classes (which would be a scheduling impossibility and would mean minimal contact with my GT students), I would focus on working with 6 teachers or less to co-teach 2-3 days a week.

I knew that the primary enrichment teacher and I were going to have to share space this year, so I have already hinted that this might have to happen to the grade level team leaders so it won't be a total surprise to anyone.

So here are my questions:

How do I put the best possible spin on this situation to make it a positive situation for everyone involved?

What suggestions do you have concerning developing positive co-teaching relationships?

What suggestions do you have if the idea is shot down by admin or a grade level team?

Thanks for your input and advice.

janiebird19 is offline   Reply With Quote

michelb366

Old 08-10-2009, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've never co-taught, so can't be of much help there, but if they don't go for your proposal, could you pull out the groups of kids and use a room that is vacant due to specials? While it is inconvenient, it can work. I did this for the first semester last year, pulling my little cart of supplies with me from my small office.
michelb366 is offline   Reply With Quote