Help

ESL/LEP

What do you give out?

>

Froggy

What do you give out?
Old 08-10-2009, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What help/resources do you give your mainstream/core teachers? I have a few nonspeakers starting and they are already expecting miracles from me!!!

THANKS!

Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 08-11-2009, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do everything I can to help my mainstream teachers. Although at the level I teach (5th through 8th) I am more of a resource for the 4-6 kids. They bring me anything they don't understand and we work through it more slowly than the rest of the class. I tend to try to reinforce concepts by finding supplemental things of my own. When I find them, I always make copies for all the teachers in that grade.
Example: Social Studies chapter. I made a study guide for my student, then gave copies to all fourth grade teachers. They use that format now. Another one is when my fifth grade girl was studying energy conservation. I found an activity for the whole class about deciding what your carbon footprint was. I gave it to the teacher, because it was math, science, and social studies rolled into one.
Collaboration is really important; in th best interest of the student, you shouldfoster good working relationships with anyone special he/she sees. Don't be afraid to ask for help, but do understand it can be difficult to give, depending on the rules of the state you live in.
MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

read&see

Old 08-13-2009, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have given teachers a packet of photocopied articles about instructing ELL students. Sometimes I highlight important info in the articles for them to notice.
You can probably find journal articles online or if you have any books that you could copy from that helps.
read&see is offline   Reply With Quote