ESL endorsement vs. SPed. Certification

>

Jenn81

ESL endorsement vs. SPed. Certification
Old 08-05-2009, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone,

( I also posted this in job search)

I have been subbing for 1 1/2 years. I had 2 long term positions last year within one district. However, I only have my MAT in elementary ed. and I know I have to get back in order to get hired. I am really interested in going back for my ESL certification, I have enjoyed my time spent in ESL classrooms for past practicums. It is also 6 to 7 classes as compared to 10 classes and student teaching during the summer for spec. ed. I hope to become certified in ESL in time to teach for Sept 2011 school year.

However, I am worried this will limit me to only districts with large esl population. A mater's degree in special ed may be more practical, because I could teach in any district. I am just afraid of teaching special ed. I feel like I would have no idea as to what I'm doing (then again, that's because I have not gone to school for it yet). I just feel like special ed is not my calling.

Does anyone find themselves in the same boat? Is anyone gone back for ESL and has been hired because of it? I am restless about this decision and I must make it by 8/20 to sign up for classes =)

An extra side note....( rant warning)

I just turned 28 years old. I have been waitressing for many years, and subbing since Jan 07. I am getting older and need to move on with my life! My boyfriend has supported me throughout college and getting my masters degree for almost 7 years. We want to get married an move on with our lives and my career choice seems to be holding us back...so stressed, sorry about the vent =)!

So, I just don't want to give up hope,

Jenn

Thanks a bunch!
Jenn

Jenn81 is offline   Reply With Quote

tch&lrn

Old 08-05-2009, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First of all, don't give up! If you want to be a teacher do not give that up. To me, the most telling part of your post was that you think teaching special ed might not be your calling. Trust your intuition. That is a field that is not for everyone. I live in IL and could have gone to college for free if I had chosen to study special ed, but I knew ultimately that it was not for me.

I am just starting out as a bilingual teacher, because I feel that this is my calling. An ESL endorsement would add marketability for you, but where I am from the more classes you have taken the more you have to pay, so I personally would wait until I have a full time teaching job to take on another endorsement. Maybe a position will open up eventually in the district that you have had the two long term sub positions?

Good luck!
tch&lrn is offline   Reply With Quote

baileybear36

Old 08-13-2009, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you do decide to get your ELL endorsement, look into the TEACH grant.
baileybear36 is offline   Reply With Quote