Help

Fifth Grade

Morning Music

>

ancie44

Morning Music
Old 07-19-2009, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am moving from second to fifth and need help thinking of songs to use. In the morning I play a CD with three songs on it. Students know that each song means a different task i.e. put their backpacks up, turn homework in, move lunch card... My songs were preschool-ish songs and not approriate for fifth. Also do the same thing with a good bye cd to wrap up our day. Any suggestions of songs?

ancie44 is offline   Reply With Quote

AnEagerReader

Old 07-22-2009, 10:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hmmm...5th graders can get pretty picky when it comes to music. At this age, they want to start acting "cool" and liking cool things. Maybe you can ask them during the 1st week of school what their favorite things are (including music and musical artists).

From there, maybe you can choose songs that are appropriate to play (just make sure you pay attention to lyrics). The first thing that pops into my head are Disney artists (Jonas brothers, Miley Cyrus, Demi Lovato, etc.).
AnEagerReader is offline   Reply With Quote

AZTeacher72

Old 07-25-2009, 11:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would stick with classical, easy listening, or jazz and save the Disney music for fun time as it tends to get my students riled up! It is also a great way to expose your students to songs that are not played on Radio Disney. What about 50's music? The possibilities are endless...I would suggest spending some time on Itunes and burn a CD with a mixture that you like. Target and Walmart always have great CDs with a variety of instrumental music as well. Another of my team teachers plays CDs from Wicked, The Phantom of the Opera, Hair Spray, and other Broadway musicals. The students love it! I like Enya and anything Celtic.
AZTeacher72 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachery

Music
Old 08-17-2009, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Why don't you play a variety and see how students respond to it? Like one day play jazz, another classical, etc.
teachery is offline   Reply With Quote