Help

ESL/LEP

Progress Reports

>

Miss R

Progress Reports
Old 08-07-2009, 09:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am going to be teaching middle school ESL this school year. This will be my first year.

I want to of create a Word/Excel document of a progress report to keep for each one of my students. Instead of reinventing the wheel, I thought I would first ask if anyone has examples of the progress reports they use for their ELLs
. I looked online and saw a few that might suit my needs, but I wanted to know if anyone had a favorite progress report that works really well with their ELLs?

Miss R is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 08-10-2009, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For straight grades, I recommend www.engrade.com
It is a grading website that helps you keep grades up for your students--even calculating weighted percentages (i.e. homework is worth 40%, classwork is worth 25%, tests/quizzes are worth 25%, participation/attendance are worth 10%). You can easily export it to Excel. You can print missing work reports, as well as grade reports for each student, and it will list the area (i.e. homework), how much it is worth, and the assignments under the heading. Each assignment will be listed with the points possible, the points earned, and the percentage grade given. You can adjust the grading scale, change the class roster, and put assignments on a calendar. You also have the option of attaching documents so they are available to your students, as well as creating 'accounts' for your students, which means THEY can check their progress at any time. I love it, because it does a ton of stuff and it is very easy to use, it takes very little time to learn and acclimate to, and it is a real time saver if you have several students.
I usually print out this progress report and then type up an additional note with comments. I used to compartmentalize it, with a section for comments on homework, attendance, et cetera. I only stopped, because I didn't really have a ton to say sometimes, and writing a paragraph or using bullet points was easier.
I found it difficult to get my ESL parents involved in the classroom, because they don't speak English. So this was, naturally, in Spanish. There is a slip below the dotted line where parents can comment in return. Students are required to bring it back signed.

I do teach fourth through eighth graders, and this has worked very well in all of those grade levels. Good luck!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss R

Old 08-19-2009, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for your response, MissESL! Engrade.com looks great and very teacher friendly. I actually just went to a workshop and found out that my school uses PowerSchool, which has very similar grading features as engrade.

Have a great school year!
Miss R is offline   Reply With Quote