ESL/LEP

An educated answer?

>

blackkitty

An educated answer?
Old 08-22-2009, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all,
I'd like to know if anyone could let me know of an educated answer when classrom teachers ask this question, "What exactly do you do with ELLs?" and a good explaination for ELD (English Language Development.) I appreciate your help. I'm new at this, and I'm still learning the ropes.
THank you!

blackkitty is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 08-24-2009, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That really depends on the grade levels and your role in the school. For example, the lady who works in the K-3 center is considered a tutor. She (or her aides) work one on one or in small groups with students SPECIFICALLY on English skills. So when people sk her, she can say somethng like 'I give them a well ounded curriculum focusing on the mechanics and usage of the English language'...
I teach 4-6 and 7-8. For the former, I am a resource teacher, mostly. My 4 - 6'ers usually bring me anything they don't understand and we work it through as a team. My middle schoolers, on the other hand, have two periods with me. One is an explicit ESL class, where I use discussions, projects, and a found textbook to teach them nd review English. The other class is a study hall where I can and am used ass a resource.
The lady at the high school is not used. Well, not for a lack of trying; however, the high school teachers are of the opinion she's not a necessary fixture (with a 47% ELL rate, she is def. necessary!). She teaches bilingual science and world history, has a resource period, and her husband, who also works in the school, teaches and ELL English class.
So different levels do different tasks all heading towards the same goal.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote