Help

ESL/LEP

help for teaching esl

>

bron

help for teaching esl
Old 08-25-2009, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

HI, I am currently teaching English in South Korea. I have some lessons each day which are from a textbook but then others I have been left to come up with stuff on my own. I've got most of them sorted but am struggling to find something to teach the Grade 1s and 2s. Their English is extremely limited and most are unable to read a word of English. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Maybe a them of teaching I could go through each week or bi monthly? I'm getting a bit desperate.

bron is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 08-25-2009, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are you responsible for teaching the students standards (i.e. addition, subtraction, fractions, etc.) or are you basically building their English vocabulary? Maybe you could spend a week on colors; read some basic books, have the students write their own books and illustrate or cut out magazine pictures. Use simple, repetitive vocabulary such as "I have a red ball". "I have a red bear". Then spend a week on numbers; a week on animals, etc. Try to use real items when possible; use TPR (Total Physical Response) where the students are using their bodies as much as possible. Your themes could go with the months or seasons (obviously different for us here in the U.S. - for example, we study Thanksgiving in November). Do you have lots of books with basic vocabulary to read to/with the students? If not, do you have any school budget to purchase books? It seems to me that what you might do with your students would be similar to what a Kindergarten teacher might do with her students to teach them to read and write. Good luck! I'm sure you'll get lots of responses from all of the great PTers!
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

senseigold

Old 08-26-2009, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

check out readingatoz.com for printable books from a very low level to about 5th grade
also google carls corner for some other great ideas.
senseigold is offline   Reply With Quote

read&see

Old 08-26-2009, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Check through some older posts on the ESL board for websites.
read&see is offline   Reply With Quote

bron

thanks
Old 08-26-2009, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

2teach2

I'm only responsible for getting the students to understand English. There's not really any specific way that they want me to do this. I've found up til now that simply sitting and colouring a picture with them and talking and asking questions about their families has been really good. For this new semester though I need to do something a lot more constructive. The grade 1's are considered here to be 8 years old as koreans add a year on at birth so in actual fact they're only 7 but the teachers expect them to be 8. Quite a mission in finding the right work for them and then on top of that the lack of English takes them down to about age 5. Thanks for all your suggestions!

senseigold

I'll check those sites out, thanks too!

read&see

how do I look for older posts on here? Is there a specific area with websites? Or is it a hit and miss thing?

bron is offline   Reply With Quote