The Job Search

classroom management help during demo lesson

>

newbieteacher

classroom management help during demo lesson
Old 12-11-2005, 09:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey all,
This is my first post and I need some advice from everyone! I'm giving a demo lesson on Tuesday for a third grade position. My lesson is all ready but I'm a little nervous about classroom management while I'm teaching. Anyone have any tips on what to do if the kids start acting up or how to keep them from acting up in the first place? I've struggled with classroom management in the past and really want to make sure I'm prepared to deal with any little upsets that may occur.
Thanks in advance!!!!!

newbieteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

NYCTeach

Good Luck!
Old 12-12-2005, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've only had to do one demo, and I just want to assure you that it wasn't NEARLY as bad as I had imagined. First of all, the teacher will probably have a had a chance to prep the kids ("You have a special teacher coming because you're such a wonderful class, etc.) and they will probably believe that the spotlight is on them, not you. I would say that if possible, you might want to do any direct teaching or reading with the children at the meeting area or rug with you on a chair in front. It is much easier to get and hold each child's attention if they are right there and having nothing to play with or distract them. Focus on the kids and try (easier said than done, of course) to forget that you are being watched. When they sit down with you, have one student remind everyone of the right way to sit and act during a lesson (no talking, flat on bottom, hands on lap, etc.) and then point out students who are doing the right thing. Keep it simple, ask questions and invite comments. If (when) someone says something completely off the wall, you can always gloss over it with a "Hmmm, interesting thought. Does anyone have any other ideas?"
Don't sweat it! They'll probably be on their best behavior for you.
Good Luck and Have Fun!
NYCTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

newbieteacher

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2005, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks! Those are some great tips. I'll definitely be using them tomorrow during my demo. I'll let you know how it goes.
newbieteacher is offline   Reply With Quote