Changing grades from K to 4th grade gifted!! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Gifted Education

Changing grades from K to 4th grade gifted!!

>

MrsBaldwin

Changing grades from K to 4th grade gifted!!
Old 07-31-2009, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone. I am new to proteacher and have found an over abundance of helpful information so far and was hoping that you all might be able to provide some more insight to my current situation....

I'M CHANGING FROM KINDERGARTEN TO 4TH GRADE GIFTED!! (in a new school and county, too!) Yikes!

As the beginning of school is getting closer, I am getting more and more nervous about making such a big change. What kind of classroom management would be most appropriate? I am used to the typical stoplight form of classroom management, but am not really sure what works in a 4th grade room.

I was able to get some of the 4th grade manuals, but what suggestions do you have for making it fit the gifted criteria? In my gifted endorsement classes, we always spoke of working on various projects. Other than projects, how do you adapt the curriculum for a gifted classroom? Any ideas/strategies that you all can provide, would be great! I would be so grateful! I am starting to get a bit overwhelmed (but super excited at the same time!)

Thanks all!

MrsBaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote

jetgirl

Welcome to PT
Old 08-01-2009, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am new to PT.

Checked real quick to see what was happening on my favorite site and saw your post.

Am going to be gone all day but will post a different reply later to answer your question

Glad to know others see the gifted board. Very little postings as you can see.
jetgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

cptjway

Welcome and glad to see you!
Old 08-01-2009, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm just starting a position as the GRT for our whole school (nervous!), but I did teach 4th grade for several years with the gifted cluster and also taught the advanced math class a couple of years.

Yes, projects are wonderful, and the gifted students love them. You might start by asking the students what or how they want to learn. Although you have to follow a set curriculum, you can tailor lessons to their passions and interests. Gifted students usually like to research a favorite topic, or love to take on the challenge of showing they learn through making movies or Powerpoints, or writing poems, etc.

Science and Social Studies can be really fun if you let the students design their own experiments or research.

I have some good resources packed away at school, but off the top of my head, I can recommend Tanglers, a book of math puzzles. You could also make a Boggle bulletin board. My gifted students loved it last year.

About behavior: I haven't used a "system" since my first year of teaching! I recognize effort and good behavior, and talk to students who have problems in private. We also have class meetings to discuss major problems. Hard to believe, but I've had students who I was "warned" about, and after a rough start (a couple of weeks), their behavior improved! The major thing to look for in gifted students is those who are underachievers. You gotta keep pushing them.

Check out Interact Simulations!! They are amazing and fun, and every thing is already planned and written for you.

Good luck! You will have so much fun!

If you want more ideas, just PM me.

Last edited by cptjway; 08-01-2009 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: needed to add something
cptjway is offline   Reply With Quote

michelb366

Interact question
Old 08-01-2009, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I checked out the interact website: http://www.interact-simulations.com/ and found a lot of interesting resources. What ones have you used successfully before? And with which grades? I teach a GT pull-out for 2-3 hours per week in grades K-8, so am always looking for things that are tried and true.
michelb366 is offline   Reply With Quote

jetgirl

Changing from 3rd to 5th-long
Old 08-01-2009, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is my fifth year in GT and I have always had the younger students. Last year I had mostly 3rd with some 2nd. Because we have so many 5th graders coming up this year, I volunteered to move up to 5th

We are a pull-out program, see our students once a week for about 51/2 hours of the school day and then they return to their regular school building. They travel to us by bus. We service 15 elementary buildings and have about 320 students; five elementary GT teachers.

Following our district's GT curriculum, we create units of study. We discuss the possible unit topics as a team and then make a decision. Each year we usually focus on one specific culture, although last year we each chose a different culture to study. My class studied Guatemala, another class Peru. The other cultures were Madagascar, Australia, and the Middle East. We took turns visiting each culture and the students really enjoyed it!

Since we are on trimesters we also have two other units. In addition to a culture unit, we will also have an Architecture and Engineering unit (5th grade only) and Invention Convention (all grades).

Our materials and supplies are ordered in late spring and early summer. So we must be very organized It is a challenge! How in the world can we see that far in advance what the students will need??

We have ordered from Prufrock Press and MindWare. There are other resources, but of course I can't remember any others off hand.

There is another teacher that also has 5th graders and since she will be retiring next year I will be team-teaching with her all year. Fortunately there are so many 5th graders it worked out perfectly for me

I taught 4th grade in the regular classroom as well as 8th, but I am a little nervous about 5th grade. I'm not sure why. I am familiar with 99% of the students coming into 5th because I had them as 2nd/3rd graders. But I am still unsure about whether I will provide them with what they need. They will probably teach me a lot! And like you, I am so excited at the same time!

Just want to say this in closing: the way our day is structured, after lunch the students and I will be focusing on Building Character. And since I introduced basic Spanish last year and the kids loved it, I will be teaching that for about 20 minutes each week as well.

Sorry this is so long, but good talking to you And, if anyone else has ideas or suggestions for us, please pass them along!

jetgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

cptjway

Interact simulations
Old 08-01-2009, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

So far, I've only used them in fourth grade. My favorites are Lost Tribe of the Tocowans and Polaris Project (math) and Fudge Factory (science) and the one for Lewis and Clark. The only one I didn't like very much was Weather Detective.

Another good source is the AIMS activities.
cptjway is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsBaldwin

Old 08-05-2009, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks to everyone who has replied! I am feeling better already! =)
MrsBaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote

alittleperil

Ideas-
Old 09-04-2009, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I too LOVE Interact Simulations! Singapore Math is another amazing program, but I think it must be taught through a workshop- I also use Literature and History Pockets from Evan-Moor. GREAT hands on activities to bring Social Studies to life, and gives ideas on responding to literature. I'm using the Ancient Civilizations one with my gifted 3rd graders, and my Pony PATS kids (k-2) are working on Aesop's Fables. These are awesome resources!
alittleperil is offline   Reply With Quote