Help

Gifted Education

Certification in Texas

>

lionessmess

Certification in Texas
Old 09-19-2009, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am kind of confused. How does it work in Texas. I am under the impression that you are "GT CERTIFIED" even if you don't take the test...as long as you have the initial 30/+6 hrs per year. Is that correct?

lionessmess is offline   Reply With Quote

kerrysgirl

Same boat!
Old 09-21-2009, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I, too, am under the same impression. I switched schools this year and was told that as long as I kept getting my 6 hour yearly update, I was good to go. BTW: You can take some of those 6 hour updates on-line through your regional service center.
kerrysgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Well..
Old 09-25-2009, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

.. it works like this. The requirement for teaching gifted in Texas is to have the 30 hours (6 hours ID/Assessment, 6 hours N&N, 18 curriculum) and then maintain a 6 hour update yearly.

However, you are not certified in GT (as in there is nothing on your teaching certificate that says you are certified to teach GT). To get the certification placed on your teaching certificate you can either take the required gifted courses and receive certification in Gifted and Talented, or you can take the test and have the Gifted and Talented Supplemental placed on your certificate - the difference being the 12 hours of gifted courses required.

BUT, even if you get the certification placed on your teaching certificate, you can not teach GT classes without the 30 hours, and the 6 hour yearly update...

Confused yet? I do know that TAGT is pushing for teachers of gifted to be required to have the certification - at least the supplemental, if not the 12 hours.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote