Substitute Teachers

Names

>

barbara s

barbara s

Names
Old 10-13-2009, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I keep subbing at the same school, and I keep getting the same kids in my classes. But I can't remember names! I'm in middle school, so I see about 125 kids each day. I even see some of them twice or three times if I have them for religion and homeroom too. I call roll for every class, and I still can't remember who they all are. I'm doing better with the minority kids; my own kids are Asian, and we attend a very diverse elementary school, so I think I relate to these kids more. But all those blond-haired, blue-eyed kids.... I can't keep them straight! Those of you who go back to the same schools repeatedly, how do you learn and remember names? I could use some advice. Thanks!

YILuv2Teach

Old 10-13-2009, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I always teach elementary and I still don't remember every child's name. The thing that helps me the most is to use their names. Even if it takes a little bit longer to look at a seating chart or name tags, it's the only way you will remember any of them. Maybe when you're roaming around the room (and while they are working) you can say each student's name as you pass them.
YILuv2Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

Amberlee

Folders & Names
Old 10-13-2009, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

While they are working on assignments, at some point during the day I try to pass out folders of some sort with names on it so that I can quickly give it to the students who I know, then see who I'm still confused on and figure it out from there. I can ask a student where 'so and so' sits if necessary and utilize desk tags etc. It takes a bit of work so I try to do it during silent reading or some other time when they're occupied.
Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 10-13-2009, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This actually comes very naturally to me... I usually know all the kids by the end of the hour (for elementary). I have a very good factual/rote memory. One thing that helps me get names quickly is to listen to the kids talk to each other. You can see Bob and ask Bob's name and even see Bob's name on his desk, but there's nothing like 15 other kids screaming out Bob's latest infraction that will make you remember his name!
ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 10-14-2009, 03:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Good luck to you...seating charts help; repeating their names help; walking around the room and talking and calling their names help too..anything you can do to use their names the better...

although, I was in a class (Elem.) and their were these two boys who had the same beginning letter name (S & S) and for the life of me I couldn't get it together...finally!!! we joked about how I should put a label on their forehead

yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
barbara s

barbara s

Well...
Old 10-14-2009, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Wish I did have seating charts and names on desks! But I'm currently subbing in middle school. Kids change classes every 45 minutes. No time to do name tags. And of all the days I've subbed this year, I've had seating charts from only one teacher, so no help there. I didn't have this much trouble remembering names when I was a TA/sub in elementary school. I knew those kids within about two hours. But this is mind-boggling. The classes are typically 24 to 30 kids each, with five or six classes each day. I guess I can take some comfort in the fact that the other day, the sixth-grade counselor told me she was still struggling to remember students' names. But it's frustrating to me, and I know it's disconcerting to the kids. Hey, she just called my name yesterday--why doesn't she remember me today? Sigh...
subczy

subczy

in my dist
Old 10-14-2009, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

they are all named honey or sweetie unless they are in trouble w/ me and then they are named sir or miss. No joke.

i live in a small town. I KNOW these kids and I still can't remember their names. I see nearly 1000 kids a week sometimes when I cover jr high and sr high. Actually, I remember all the naughty kids names w/ no problems!!!

the question I hate the most is do you remember me. Well, I may very well remember a LOT of things about that person, so I say yes. then they say, then what is my name. UGH! THAT is the question i hate, i tell them they are more than their name and try to let them know something specific I remember about them. That usually does the trick, but when I can't what can i say? they take it so personally!

The other thing I hate is when the kids, usually jr high, say do you know who my family is? I mean come on...yeah, I probably do, but I always say no. they try telling me how awesome their mom or dad is ie, my dad's mayor or my mom owns this or that I say really? I have never heard of them or that, we shop mostly in the next town over. I HATE when kids get big heads b/c of what their parents do. It urks me to no end. I can't help pretending I don't know who their folks are. Geesh.