Substitute Teachers

Blueberries?

>

JamiePete

JamiePete

Blueberries?
Old 10-15-2009, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my situation. About a month ago, I subbed in a school I got called at all the time last year (multiple times a week). I had a great day in the class, followed all the lesson plans perfectly, left the classwork neatly on her desk along with a detailed note, and left the room clean. The only thing I did wrong was I brought in a ziplock bag of blueberries to munch on before class started but I ran out of time and shoved the blueberries in her desk when the kids came in. I forgot all about it and didnít throw it out when I left. Well, I havenít been called back to the school since. I get called to other schools in the district but not that one. Now Iím starting to worry that I did something wrong but the only thing I can think of are those stupid blueberries. Could someone get blacklisted for leaving blueberries in a desk? Should I ask the sub coordinator if Iím banned from the school? And what recourse (if any) would I have if she says yes?

It could be that I'm just being paranoid but I can't stop worrying about this. I would really love a job in this district one day and I'd hate to think my prospects are ruined over blueberries. Would a teacher really take action against a sub for soemthing like that?

Augustus

Old 10-15-2009, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wouldn't say blacklisted for the blueberries exactly, but if you made the teacher mad enough that teacher could say all kinds of bad things about you and there is nothing you can do about it. And that can get you blacklisted. It is hard to say what all that teacher told her principal. Sure, you can call the sub coordinator. Sometimes they won't tell you, though. They leave you in the dark. You have no recourse. You work for minimum wage and no benefits and no contract. You are expendable.
"Would a teacher really take action against a sub for soemthing like that?"
They sure would.
Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Old 10-15-2009, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

you only get blacklisted by leaving blackberries, since yours were blue, well, that's just the wrong berry.

Seriously, more than likely you did nothing wrong. Money is tighter this year. Someones neice could have passed her exam to sub and is getting the slots you used to get. Just keep doing the best job you know how and things will be fine. We are all working on being our best version of ourselves. You care, and that is very nice.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

3of3

Old 10-15-2009, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Mine was a coffee cup(It had a lid) I left it on the teacher's desk when packing up to leave. I'm very careful not to keep any liquids on anyones desk, just set it there for a moment and forgot it! I worked for this teacher often, she always gave high praises, and after I left the cup, no more calls from her. I'm sure it was empty but I kind of don't blame people for not wanting food or liquids at their desk. I chalked it up to a learning experience and am fortunate that my schedule is full.
3of3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

You were not blacklisted
Old 10-15-2009, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If any action is to be taken, then it will most likely be that this teacher won't allow or accept you into her classroom ever again. Trust me; I made the mistake of giving out science fair grades last year, and instead of being blacklisted from just her class, it was the entire school.

Leaving those blueberries in the desk is a sign of carelessness and bears no reflection on your management or teaching style. It's a completely separate thing, and if we were to be blacklisted every time we made a careless mistake, no one would be working!

Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 10-15-2009, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Oh-h-! I eat at the teacher's desk. I never thought about it. I usually eat while I review the plans and figure things out. I won't do it anymore! Thanks! I learn so much here.

Still, I wouldn't necessarily blame the blueberries. Every district I sub for really increased their sub pool in the past year and jobs are much harder to get. I'm still working, but I haven't yet seen 2 jobs at a time on AESOP. I just take whatever is (briefly) there.
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

kalexias

Old 10-16-2009, 04:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You know, the only thing I would add that I can't see that anyone has said is the fact that you went into her desk. That you left the blueberries inside her desk could have really ticked her off. Personally, I would never, ever go into a teacher's desk unless they left me a specific note to get something out of it like a remote control for the VCR or something. I don't know that I would ask the sub-coordinator about it since you would maybe then have to admit to going into a teacher's desk and that may cause you further harm. I really think you'll maybe just have to chalk this up to a learning experience.

On the bright side perhaps you are not blacklisted and they just have not needed you.
kalexias is offline   Reply With Quote

kjuda

going into teacher's desks
Old 10-16-2009, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If I need to find supplies and the desk isn't locked, I absolutely go into the desks. Usually there is one drawer or file cabinet that is locked and that's where teachers will put things they don't want messed with. Maybe I'm wrong, but there's usually not time to debate 'should I or shouldn't I'!
kjuda is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

oh man... lol
Old 10-16-2009, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

If there is a day off I'd stop by the school. I'd explain to the secretary that you'd like to talk to mrs so and so or at least leave her a note (if its not her planning time) b/c you feel really bad about a bag of blueberries you left in her desk, and you hope that isn't why you aren't getting called for sub jobs b/c you really love this school and her class. It was an oversight and you just hope she doesn't think it was left there for her and you hope it hadn't made a mess. 9i suppose you can do this on the phone, but face to face is usually better for begging for mercy lol)

Why go to the school? so that more than one person knows about it. if you just email or call the teacher and she has already bad mouthed you, being that type of person to begin with she is most likely not going to mention your apology or explanation to anyone b/c it will only make her look bad. so by going and telling the secretary, etc someone else knows what happens - someone who might think of you when theya re short some subs!

good luck!

yoohoo

Old 10-16-2009, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Are you a new sub? Is that why you're so worried about this situation? Do you know the teacher well enough to approach him/her when you're in the school again? From your post you mention that you're getting calls from other schools in the district but not this one-----

This is my 3rd yr. subbing and am still learning about the job (I swear there would NEVER EVER be enough training for us subs to cover every single event that happens in a classroom)

chalk it up to experience---my one OOPS! moment was to leave a library book behind...get this....the teacher ends up throwing it out and I end up having to pay for the book.....

How do I know? I was subbing in the building the next day and remembered the class I was working in...the teacher was there..I asked the teach if they've seen my book..."Oh, no, no books here.."

YEAAAhhhh, rrrriiiiggggttt

yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 10-16-2009, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
chalk it up to experience---my one OOPS! moment was to leave a library book behind...get this....the teacher ends up throwing it out and I end up having to pay for the book.....
Are you kidding me?? I once left a library book in a classroom (I only read during prep period, I swear!). The teacher brought it to the office the next morning, the secretary called me to let me know it was there, and then she offered to return it to the library--public, not school--for me! (I went back to the school to pick it up because I wanted to finish it. But it was so nice of her to even offer!) I feel lucky to work in the district I do.

But anyway. I really can't imagine anyone being THAT upset about a bag of blueberries, but who knows? I suppose if you'd left the blueberries on a Friday, or if the teacher had been out a couple of days, they could have gotten pretty icky. Anyway, I like the suggestion to go to the school and try to talk to the teacher about it.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote