Help

Substitute Teachers

Bad Evaluation

>

jnf

Bad Evaluation
Old 10-14-2009, 12:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I got bad bad evaluation the other day for a teacher. The teacher said that another teacher had to come in and tell them to quite down, the kids were banging on other teachers doors, and I was playing games on the computer.
I wrote back to HR and told them that I was not playing I was doing an online inservice class, like regular teachers who do their school work when they have time during the day, i was doing the same thing. The other teacher who came in to tell my students to quite down, well the principal came in just before the other teach did and the principal said the students were doing good. And I have no idea about the banging on the door, but mabye its time to tell the kids the right things do do.
I have had 2 bad evaluations in 3 years, so I think my record is pretty darn good.

jnf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 03:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am sorry about the bad evaluation. When subbing you need to keep all your attention focused on the students, this is not the time to do your own online class work. Regular teachers would receive a bad evaluation if we completed online class work with students in the room also.
1234567 is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 10-14-2009, 03:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I feel for you....some teachers can't stand any kind of noise....but you have to ask yourself...was it soooo noisy that the principal didn't notice the noise?

I don't know....all I can say is to keep your eyes peeled all the time because their are just some teachers who don't give two cents for subs even though they themselves need to rely on us to do their work...

I once had this happen to me...in forgetting to close the door (I was in MS) a teacher stormed into my room and made a big announcement that my kids were too loud and that she could hear them from her room and her kids were trying to take a test...uhhhh...like she couldn't close her door???!!! Let's just say...we don't see eye to eye on things after that
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

well....
Old 10-14-2009, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Not having a formal eval doesn't stop anyone from forming opinions about the job you do, so stop worrying. the way i see it this teacher just relieved themselves of a sub. lol

I am curious, do the evals go both ways? i find them condescending. I mean, that isn't how professionals in the rest of the world work. it is VERY difficult to eval something w/o speaking w/ the person and knowing the context of the situation, especially where children are concerned. If i was having formal evals done on me I swear if I was to keep doing my job I'd have to completely ignore them or drive myself nuts.

thordau4

Old 10-14-2009, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had a principal walk in once when I was sitting at the teacher's desk. There was only one student in the room and he was doing some work. However, when the principal walked in, said something to the student and then walked right back out without acknowledging me, I felt yukky. I decided right then to always be looking "teacherly" when I am in the classroom and don't let my guard down for a second!
Now that I think about it, what planet was that principal on? - to walk in and not greet or acknowledge the other adult in the room? huh? Still, I try to ALWAYS look "teacherly". I am on their clock, I should always appear to be doing the job they are paying me for. Computers and cell phones will just look bad! Both of those are buzz saw situations; don't walk into it!

Last edited by thordau4; 10-14-2009 at 07:59 AM..
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

kjuda

Old 10-14-2009, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree that 'noise level' is a relative thing. Some noise is natural and everyone has a different level of tolerance for 'kids noise'. However...

You are hired to teach and to make sure the kids are safe. Period. If I walked in (I'm a veteran teacher) and found a sub doing his/her own schoolwork for an online class that sub would be dismissed and taken off the list. As parent, I would be very upset if this were allowed.

In the best situation, we need eyes in the back of our head to be aware of what is going on with every child at all times. As a sub you are responsible for everything that goes on. If you are not willing to be 100% present, then you don't belong in a classroom.
kjuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sub4now

Sub4now

Interesting...
Old 10-14-2009, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think it is interesting to hear all the different takes on how to be while you are in the classroom. I know in Elementary, the students have a lot of time where they are just working on the assignments. Is it wrong to be reading a book during this time? Or if they are testing in the computer lab with another teacher leading the testing? I mean obviously I am always paying attention to the students and I take breaks to walk around or answer questions but is it wrong to be reading a book too? Or during Junior High study hall? I am honestly curious, I am still new to subbing!

MissESL

Old 10-14-2009, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I will be honest...if my kids are working, i am available to them. But I am not going to sit there and look bored while they work. I also make sure to check each student for understanding, so roaming around eventually ends...kids get ticked if you're hanging over their shoulders as they try to master the new thing. They can always come to ask me, but I definitely take the opportunity to do what I need to get done while they work.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

kjuda

Old 10-14-2009, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've taught elementary level (as well as college level) K-8 and now I'm subbing after taking an early retirement. I can tell you that elementary grade kids who are working on assignments need to be assisted, you should be checking over shoulders to see that they are doing the correct thing (they often aren't), checking for spelling, are they writing neatly... you should be 'reminding' them about directions, being complete, etc. By walking around, you may realize that you need to repeat some part of the directions that they didn't understand. I NEVER sit down in elementary unless it's during reading small group work where they are sitting at a table with me. If you are in a computer lab during testing, even though another teacher is leading the testing you should be circling to make sure they are following directions. You shouldn't be reading a book! The only time it might be acceptable to be reading a book would be during DEAR time (drop everything and read) because it's good for kids to see you modeling reading. But......be very careful what types of books you are reading!

I hear stories all the time from teacher and administrator friends who complain about subs for this very kind of thing. And...very often subs who behave this way are quietly placed at the bottom of the call lists....or removed from Aesop. So: pretend that every day you are subbing is potentially a job interview. If you have any intention of ever working in a fulltime teaching position, you will behave as if every minute of the day you are showing the staff how you would operate as a teacher. Think about it.

blanche46

I have to agree with Kjuda...
Old 10-14-2009, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I know that I have brought plenty of books with me in the hope of finding the right time...but I never really feel it is right to just sit and read. If the kids are with me I am circulating or helping them or watching them from my seat(so I'm not hovering). If they are at specials, lunch or it is a planning period, I am cleaning up the room, checking the teachers notes for what is to come next and prepping materials or getting a head start on my note for the teacher and if all that is done and there is still time I head down to our media center to help our librarian check in and put away books. I never find a dull moment. As for the computer...be sure it's even ok to be on it! Our county fired some subs last year for playing on the computer..."it is to be only for school or county use ONLY." (we ALL got the warning for that one)

blanche46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Augustus

Old 10-14-2009, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I never get on a teacher's computer unless it is required in the LP. I read quite a bit in the high school classroom, but a little less in middle school. And it depends on what they are doing.
I wouldn't worry about the evaluation. I'll bet she isn't liked by her peers.
Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 10-14-2009, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I do make a point not to take out anything personal while the kids are in the room... the book and the computer are for MY breaks only! The only exception to this rule is that sometimes I will leave Aesop up on the computer so I can refresh it every once in a while. :P
ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 10-14-2009, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm glad you said that ciounoi! Today in HS math, I left AESOP up and refreshed it occasionally. I picked up a job for tomorrow and noticed someone who requested me put me in for a couple days, so that was cool. Reading this thread I was feeling a little guilty... I couldn't just sit there because they were testing and I was "roving".
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote
LynneLC

LynneLC

Old 10-15-2009, 02:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I always walk around while the kids are working on an assignment.

One of the things I was specifically told during my brief interview a few years ago is NOT to read a book or magazine while you are with the students. In fact, the way she phrased it at first was not to read an "outside" book during class. I asked if she meant if I am in a Chemistry class, do not bring in a Chemistry textbook that differs from the one students use. She said no, she meant don't read a random book. It would never have occurred to me to sit around reading a book when in a classroom full of kids.

As a previous poster said, walking around helps to ensure the students are on task, understanding the assignment, etc. I don't think we can go by what we see "regular" teachers doing at school. Maybe the Administration gives them a little leeway because they realize teachers put in a lot of extra hours after the bell rings. Since we are not expected to work extra hours, I think it's reasonable to expect that our attention is focused solely on the students while we are there.

As for the quieting down part, I don't think that should necessarily be held against you, depending on what you had been doing to get them quiet. I have had classes in which I have tried various techniques to get them to quiet down and there is still a point where another teacher might come in to say they're too loud.

viktoriag

Old 10-15-2009, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Our district just started using AESOP. For most people I have met, jobs have been few and far between. I imagine there must be some who work every day, but I have yet to meet them.

So if you are working one day, you miss that entire day of opportunity to get a job for the next day or beyond, should one happen to flit by.

A week or two into the school year, the district posted a terse statement to the effect that any sub using their own devices or any district computer during their time with the students (actually we are NEVER allowed to use the district computers, it said) will be removed from the substitute list. I have never used a teacher's computer while I had students with me, but I would go into the teachers' room and sign on as a student to check email, look at news, etc, during prep, and what better time to check AESOP?

But I know that posting didn't refer to me, because at that time, I had not been lucky enough to snag me one of them there jobs ...
viktoriag is offline   Reply With Quote
Eric7100

Eric7100

Auto-Accept
Old 10-15-2009, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Just invest in an auto-accept program for AESOP such as SubJobSearch. Then let the program run at home while you work, and snatch jobs for you!

kjuda

Old 10-15-2009, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Does this program actually 'sign you up' for jobs? I am using Jobulator which 'announces' new jobs with a bell sound, but you have to jump on to grab the job. If SubJobSearch signs you up, what if it's a job you really don't want? Does your school system have to 'accept' SubJobSearch? To use Jobulator, the school system must 'buy in' to it and accept it. (of course, as subs, we still have to pay for it!) Do tell!

Augustus

Old 10-15-2009, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I don't have problems keeping a class quiet and I sit there and read books and everyone knows it. It's when I read that is important. When they read, I read, but I don't read during math or when something is going on. Some of these schools you all work for seem real petty. They pay you chump change with no benefits or guarantee of work or contract. And then they make you walk all day, make photocopies, and use you for a fall guy when needed. I use my MP3 player during my lunch or plan time. If they tell me I can't then I go to another school.
I actually like subbing and I like the kids, but I haven't had a meaningful raise in ten years. That is just what the kids would call a "FU". And people fall all over themselves to get these jobs. I am just about done with it.
Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Eric7100

Eric7100

Old 10-15-2009, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Yes, it does actually sign you up for jobs. And no, your school system does not have to "accept" it.

kjuda

Old 10-15-2009, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I just found the website. It's not cheap is it?! But I suppose it pays for itself quickly.

Do you know if it works on Macs? I just read the whole website including the FAQ, and it doesn't address this.

THX!

blueheron

I just wanted to say for the
Old 10-15-2009, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

record that I would not care if a substitute teacher used my computer before school, after school, or on breaks to check their district email or look at the inside web site. Both substitute and contracted teachers work for the district, the computer on my desk belongs to the district. Substitutes are expected to check emails from the district, and sign up for professional development. They have their own log on and passwords. Heck, I'm perfectly fine with them opening a cabinet to find a supply even if they didn't see it in it's obvious place.
blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Eric7100

Eric7100

Old 10-16-2009, 01:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I'm not sure if it works on Macs or not. Contact the webmaster/programmer for this information. There is another, much cheaper program, called Assignment Assistant that does the same thing. But it definitely does not run on Macs.

COsub1

Old 10-17-2009, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Is their an auto-accept program for Subfinder?
COsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote

kjuda

Old 10-17-2009, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Nope, it doesn't work on Macs. But I have an old PC laptop that I'm going to use. Any tips about initial setup? Just how detailed or picky are you having it be? My fear is that it will sign me up for gigs that I really don't want because I haven't set the parameters correctly. Your thoughts, Eric?
Eric7100

Eric7100

Old 10-17-2009, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

It's easy to avoid jobs that you don't want. You have to enter a list of the schools (within your district) that you want to sub in. Just rank them in order of preference, or leave out any undesirable schools completely. You can also choose whether you want full-day, AM, or PM jobs, or any combination of those. When I receive a job that I really don't want, I simply cancel it. No problem with that, as long as it is before 6:00 AM on the day of the job.

COsub1

Subjobsearch
Old 10-17-2009, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Will Subjobsearch work for Subfinder also?
COsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Eric7100

Eric7100

No
Old 10-18-2009, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

No, SubJobSearch only works for Aesop.

COsub1

Old 10-18-2009, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

That is what I thought.

Is there one for Subfinder?