Gifted Education

DI/ independent study for math and reading

>

Niki

DI/ independent study for math and reading
Old 10-14-2009, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,
I'm trying to come up with some easy activities to use for DI/independent study in math and reading for fourth grade.
Here is what I am thinking so far. I want it to be used for gifted students and or the whole class. It would be done after all work is finished, at home and possibly in place of spelling. I want something that is easy for me to implement and that gives students choices. Any ideas?
I have high students in reading and math this year and I want to challenge them. But I feel very confused about what to do and also feel overwhelmed. I really need something low maintenance on my end. Any ideas?

Niki is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

The Menu Books
Old 10-14-2009, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

that I mentioned in the earlier post, are the easiest to implement if you want something already created and easy to do.

www.giftedconsultant.com. I went to one of her trainings at GT conference last year and she was great!
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

"Mrs. Gorf"

Old 10-15-2009, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use the books the PP mentioned. (Got mine from Amazon.com) You can also try googleing "think tac toe" "choice menu" "layered curriculum" and get lots of premade choice boards/contracts.
"Mrs. Gorf" is offline   Reply With Quote

Jump4Joy

Choices
Old 10-17-2009, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi,
Yes I agree that choices are wonderful for enrichment opportunities. I do something called Tic-Tac-Tasks modified from other examples I've seen. We use it in literature and spelling. They choose three tasks each week for spelling/vocab. They choose 3 for literature (novel study) independent assignments. So far, they are loving it and enjoying the choices. I am pleased with the products as well. Less boring routine drill and kill and more opportunities for them to show their creative abilities.

I found many ideas for literature in Scholastic's "Independent Reading Management Kit" workbooks for teachers. There are several different ones (literary elem, genre etc).
Jump4Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Niki

Thanks
Old 10-17-2009, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I believe I just ordered the Independent reading management kit. How do you grade these assignments? Or is it just completion grades?

Niki

gifted consulatant
Old 10-17-2009, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My school is also ordering the math and reading books off of that site after I suggested it!
Thanks for the great ideas/resources!!

Jump4Joy

grades
Old 10-18-2009, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

some of the assignments are completion grades (checked off) and more extensive assignments are graded on our districts 1-4 scale. I don't get caught up in the grading everything cycle because I've found that my students are just as happy to see a stamp or a sticker as they are to see scores. Parents understand that the grading is very inflexible when it's 1-4 so my students are all basically 3's or 4's and very seldom 1 or 2's. To keep endless records results in nothing significantly different when the final grades are determined.

Hope that helps!! The main thing is that the students are actively engaged and choosing activities that best allow them to show what they know!!
Jump4Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Niki

Old 10-18-2009, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I agree. I usually just give kids checks for a completion grade. But stamps aren't a bad idea!
Thanks!