Help

Substitute Teachers

Competing with other subs

>

TeachK-6

Competing with other subs
Old 10-21-2009, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Usually I am not an extremely competitive person but since I have been subbing this year I have fallen in love with the middle school where I have been subbing. Well today I subbed next door to a classroom that had another sub. I had my students popcorn reading a story when I heard the sub next door yelling at his kids to be quiet and turn to page 24. I must have heard "turn to page 24" 15 times! His kids were not listening to him at all and he obviously had no control over the classroom. He also sent his kids to lunch early, did not clean up the room at the end of the day, and did not leave the teacher a note! Well at first I felt bad for him that he could not keep the class under control but then I kind of thought well I guess that makes me look pretty good. Is that terrible? Do you get competitive with the other subs in the buildings where you work?

TeachK-6 is offline   Reply With Quote

3of3

Old 10-21-2009, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't think bad of you for feeling good about the job you are doing. It takes a lot of work to maintain control of a classroom, especially if it's your first time in that class. That being said, maybe the other sub had a particularly tough class, sometimes no matter what you do there is always a group that is hard to keep quiet. But yelling, no..not cleaning up, no.. and not taking the time to leave a note is just not ok. I always try to compete with myself and learn from other's mistakes. What another person is doing in another clasroom is none of my business. I try not to go "there", but hey we are human and sometimes it feels good to know that what we are doing is "better" than someone else. It just may mean more jobs for you and less for him. I'm sure the teacher will not appreciate the job he did and he won't get called back. I stay busy (4-5 days a week) and almost all of those are callbacks. I'm sure it is mostly due to my ability maintain order in the absence of the teacher and follow the lesson plan...sounds simple, but many people just aren't cut out to be subs. It certainly will weed out the meek quickly...
3of3 is offline   Reply With Quote

beanie

How do you maintain order when you sub?
Old 10-22-2009, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am always looking for tips to improve sub teaching.
I sub K-5.
What do you do to maintain order?
Any special things you do and would you be willing to share?
Thank you very much.
beanie is offline   Reply With Quote

3of3

In Response to Beanie...
Old 10-22-2009, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I stand at the door as they enter and say good morning and try to make eye contact with each student. I give them a few minutes to settle in and immediately let them know my expectations that I have for them for the day. If they are talking I wait. I remind them that it is rude to talk over another person, especially the teacher. If this doesn't work I quietly grab a stack of behavior referrals and let them know that based on their behavior I will be handing out referrals. If it's one or two kids, I'll quickly send one to stand outside for a minute while the rest of us continue..it usualy works and sets the tone that I mean business. That being said, I give tons of praise to those who are behaving. If we've been working more than a hour straight, I'll stop at random and let them stretch, grab a drink, take a minute to re-focus. It's all about building a relationship in the short amount of time that you have with them. I'm patient but firm. Every class is different and I try to roll with what the dynamic of the group is, you can tell pretty quickly and I don't expect that a chatty class is going to be silent just because I want them to be. I keep them busy and have options for those who finish early. Most K-5 classes that I'm in are earning class points and I let them know that a good note to the teacher means more points. If I can talk to a neighboring teacher about a particular student behavior problem, I do and usually they tell me to send that student to their class for a while. I'm not there to be put in an "awful" situation so I try to find options if I see it heading that way...for the most part it's true...the teacher's(your) behavior is the only one that you can truely control. Younger kids take more time, just expect that you may have to repeat yourself many times before they respond, older kids I am not willing to give as much time cause they'll just take it and run. I hope this helps...there's always the class from "hell" and those I do not return to
3of3 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachK-6

Old 10-22-2009, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the kind words and reassurance 3. I am usually not a negative person but I just felt good about the job that I have been doing

The tips that I have to offer would be:

Do not raise your voice above talkative students, that rarely works and you do not want other teachers/principal to hear you yelling at your students. Instead, I say "Ok, voices are off and eyes are on me" and if they are still talking I will wait. While waiting I give them my "teacher" look and usually a couple of students will shush the others.

Be fair and firm. I think that students respond to fairness (at least at the middle school level). If you treat them fairly they will usually do the same for you.

Try to jazz up the lesson a little. I don't mean to change it but make it your own. Joke around with them, tell stories that have to do with the subject matter, etc. They love to get to know their subs and it is really nice to build a personal connection with them. I have subbed for a couple of the 5th and 6th grade classes at the MS and every day when I walk in I have students saying hello to me and asking when I will be back to teach them again.

ALWAYS clean the room and leave a note for the teacher!! Leave a detailed note telling what you did/did not cover, any problems you may have had, I always tell which students were helpful, and let them know that you enjoyed subbing for them and leave your sub. number in case they want to request you.

Good Luck

TeachK-6 is offline   Reply With Quote