Help

Substitute Teachers

Just need to vent...

>

blanche46

Just need to vent...
Old 10-22-2009, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Worked in 2nd grade today...good class...the teacher was next door working on testing...she also had her 23 month old son with her because he had strep and couldn't go to daycare until he is on antibiotics, so I know she was really stressed,that said my day went like this........................... ............
I get to her room this morning early the teacher is there so she goes over her plans with me very quickly, being sure to let me know that not to worry if I didn't get to everything...and that sometimes she had her reading lesson go into her math time etc. So the day goes along ok, hectic though because some of the things she left for today were alot of hands on things that can get a little lengthy and chaotic at times (especially w/2nd gr.) even so, we got almost everything done except the last 2 things on her plans. 1 was a simple math assessment 10 questions, and the other a feelings book and chart.
So, she comes in at the end of the day with another sub who will take over for tomorrow (her son is still sick & I am working elsewhere) tells her what she will do tomorrow, then turns to me. I tell her about our day and that they only things we didn't get to were those 2 things...well darned if I didn't get "Well I really wish you would have done that math assessment, now I'll have to do something different for tomorrow!" Then when I told her about a boy who said he handed in his HW packet yesterday, and she says..."well, he should have sat out at recess, and done his HW, it is here in his desk" Now how am I supposed to know that...I don't know this boy, or from what I understand that his mom called and said he left his HW at school. Talk about making me feel bad!!! Not even a little thanks for the things we did get done 2 other tests and taught a new lesson on weights and scales, not to mention reviewing the story we tested on, reviewed antonyms checked HW etc., ARGHHHHHHHH!!!! Why do I do this job again??? It certainly isn't for all the kudos you get! and to top it off she's also mad because her "board washer" forgot to clean the white board before he left too? Sorry just had to vent!!!!!

Last edited by blanche46; 10-22-2009 at 01:47 PM..
blanche46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Augustus

Old 10-22-2009, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I understand how you feel, but don't let it bother you. Just say "ok" and "see ya later" and go.
Some of these teachers can be really petty. They act their room and subject is the only thing that matters in life. Now, having said that, many of them are under a lot of pressure. Because, don't you know, the reason little Johnny can't read is the teacher's fault. It makes no difference if papa and mama never sit down to read with him, it is the teacher's fault.
Why is it, that almost every time a teacher acts like that, it is a woman? Ohhh, now I am going to catch it.
Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

In response to Augustus
Old 10-22-2009, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

No, I completely agree with you!

The only trouble I've had with teachers have been female ones. As a woman, I can sense pettiness, and others may feel threatened by me (why though?) Male teachers, the few that I've encountered, have always been very friendly and helpful.
Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

blanche46

I have to agree...
Old 10-22-2009, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

the only trouble I've had with teachers have been female also. I'm not really sure what their problem is either. Although, I guess if you look at the stats chances are there are more women in the field then men so......but that doesn't give them the right to be catty!We subs are there to help and we do the best we can, I'm sure we all follow their plans to the best of our ability, but they already know these kids for months now and know all of their good qualities and bad, all of their classroom rules and their future lesson plans for the year. We know one day in these students lives, maybe more if we are lucky...be kind teachers and cut us some slack!

TeachK-6

Old 10-22-2009, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

OK, so since we are talking about female teachers I have to comment. I work with a couple of young and pretty teachers who dress very nicely. But they always ridicule and laugh about the way other people dress. I am only 32 and I feel like I am dressed OK but I feel like I am in high school again!! These women are so petty and ridiculous to be discussing such stupid things. I want to just say who gives a s!@t what other people are wearing aren't we here to teach children? I guess I am overly sensitive but it makes me feel like I should be double checking my wardrobe from now on.

TeachK-6 is offline   Reply With Quote

3of3

Old 10-22-2009, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Blanche46, sorry that you had to deal with a person like that. Some of the "worst" days I've had subbing have been when the teacher is on campus. It can totally feel like being under the microscope for the day. I know many teachers and they often don't get all that they have hoped to accomplish done in any one day. It's unfair that she expected you to, even though her plans stated don't worry if you don't get to it all. If something was of great importance I would think that she would convey it in her plans. Try to shrug it off. It sounds like you did a fine job today
3of3 is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 10-22-2009, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree with previous posters. Ignore this pettiness and move on. There are some people that are just complainers and they will gripe no matter what. It has more to do with them than it does with you or your performance. Ugh! I wouldn't sub for her or near her ever again.
And, Augustus, I agree with you. Women can be very sensitive which is great in some settings. Men can be INsensitive which is GREAT when you work with them because they are usually unable to be petty, picky and catty. Men have lousy memories for personal details which is annoying in marriage, but wonderful at work because they get over stuff immediately. Yeh, it's not PC to notice that, so crucify me next to Augustus, PC world!
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

blanche46

Thanks...
Old 10-22-2009, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

to everyone for your kind words...it's nice to hear from people who understand! I'm doing my best to put today behind me, since tomorrow I'm off to a 5 day assignment in 8th gr. Science then a 2 day in 8th gr LA...I need to be sure I'm at the top of my game, if you know what I mean!!!

RadSub19

as the previous posters said...
Old 10-22-2009, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

some female teachers can be petty....but I've got pettiness/immaturity coming from every angle at one school I sub at.

It especially get it in the teachers lunchroom. If someone has a "smelly" lunch (good or bad smell) someone always has to announce..."WHAT SMELLS?!?!?!" One time it was "Who has the fish?!" Another time I had to jam my mouth full of food and leave the room because I was offended by the conversation the teachers were having about marriage. They were talking about how if you don't meet your SO during college, it probably will never happen once you become a teacher. I didn't want them to open my mouth and say something that I'd regret so I filled it with food haha!

We are at school for a day! I consider a successful day one where all of the kids follow directions, stay safe, plans are completed (for the most part)
and everyone goes home at the end of the day on the right bus/car!!!
RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

Ball Three

Suspended
Seems like those who ask the most of others..
Old 10-22-2009, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

often are those who ask the least of themselves.

This teacher flat lied to you about her expectations, then was bummed when you
failed to read her mind???

And the kid who didn't erase her white board? Gee, maybe she told him, too, that
it was okay if he didn't get to it!!!

What a doofus.

Last edited by Ball Three; 10-23-2009 at 07:47 PM..
Ball Three is offline   Reply With Quote