Help

Substitute Teachers

Working in a petri dish

>

thordau4

Working in a petri dish
Old 10-21-2009, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Well, the school year is back in full swing, I guess. Because here I am again, just like last year.....I couldn't wait to get home and post a report of my day on this fab forum. No one can top this!!!! but you are welcome to try!!
I worked in 2nd grade at a school that is being remodeled. Apparently the recession hasn't hit this district because they are remodeling 2/3 of their elementaries and are just finishing a beautiful remodel of the HS, but I digress....

Picture it: Honey buckets outside the portables, with a primitive water station outside the potty. No running water in the classroom. Purell in a dispenser at the door.

The teacher was out sick and had a sub Monday and Tuesday, then the sub got sick and had to leave as soon as she arrived - (d'ya s'pose these 2 events are connected?!) - so that's how I came into the situation.... too late to really sanitize the classroom before I started work!!! I opened a couple windows and hoped for the best.

Then as I was returning from taking the touchy/feely/sniffling/sneezing little darlings to the bus, a kid from another class heading out to the bus... began barfing on the sidewalk - they had him move to the grass and sent for the nurse. I picked my way though the mess...

I'm sure I will come down with 14 diseases by morning!!! or as Gary Larson would say "a cumulative case of the willies"!!!

I hope you are all having a more sanitary work day!

thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Super Sub

Old 10-21-2009, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sounds like it's time to break out the full body condom to go to school!
Super Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiling Sub

Yuck!
Old 10-21-2009, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

EWWW... Now I don't feel so well either
Smiling Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
viktor1ag

viktor1ag

all in a day's work!
Old 10-22-2009, 04:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

:-)

Hope you survived the incubation period! That is the problem with this line of work ... the busier you are, the more likely you are to catch something that will make you unable to work! I am never without my hand sanitizer.

By the way, I may be dense, but what do you mean by "honey buckets" outside the portables?

thordau4

Old 10-22-2009, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

"port-a-potties" portable outhouses? hm-m-m I guess they are called different things in different places.... toilets that don't flush!!!!

thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

red leaf

according to wikipedia...
Old 10-23-2009, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

"The honey bucket gets its name from the actual five–gallon (19 litre) buckets which were once used as containers for honey. These are the same type of plastic buckets used for shipping many paints, cleaners, and solvents, as well as institutional quantities of food products."
And you can actually buy such a bucket with a toilet seat on top, for car camping I suppose. Of course, there is the little problem that plastic absorbs odors.
But now, the big port-a-potties are also called honey buckets.
red leaf is offline   Reply With Quote