Substitute Teachers

Liability insurance?

>

barbara s

barbara s

Liability insurance?
Old 10-22-2009, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

One of my grad school professors has been urging us to join the NEA and obtain liability insurance; he says both he and his wife have been accused in the past of violations that required legal counsel, and that the NEA insurance was an invaluable resource. Do you all have liability insurance for subbing? If so, which organization(s) do you belong to? We're a right-to-work state, so no union here, and I'm in parochial schools anyway. My options are NEA and the American Association of Educators. Thanks for your input!

subczy

subczy

me too...
Old 10-22-2009, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have been quite worried about this. I have had two injuries during gym classes and it is beginning to feel like it is only a matter of time KWIM? I know I could have done nothing to prevent those injuries and I know I handled them both correctly (at least *I* had first aid as no one else did!)

When I owned a daycare I had insurance and woudln't have worked a day without (it cost me $100/yr rider on other policies for daycare) Here subs are not part of the unions and finding out that info from the school is nearly impossible, and as I have learned from past experience are not trustworthy. I dont' like the idea of hoping they would help me.

Please, if any of you carry insurance or have looked into it anythig you have learned woudl be most helpful. At this point I am goign to finish up the gym jobs I have listed and then probably not take anymore w/o coverage - AND I know that there is more insurance covers besides physical injuries but that is something I obviously deal w/ a lot in the jobs I take.

Thanks for any info you share!

Kinder1

Old 10-25-2009, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Unfortunately, I have no insurance but I should join an organization so that I am covered. When I student taught we were required to join PSEA (Pennsylvania Student Education Association).
Kinder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Yikes
Old 10-26-2009, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I retired and am subbing, and recently realized that I'm no longer insured through the teachers' association. Yikes. I can get insurance by getting a lifetime membership in retiredNEA. Expensive, but lots cheaper than a lawyer.

Anybody can get sued for anything. If you win the case, you still owe your lawyer.

You might want to try http://www.aaeteachers.org/ they seem to offer liability insurance for teachers--I'm not sure if it's any good or applies to subs, but it might be a place to start. The insurance link is at the top of the homepage.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote