Help

Substitute Teachers

How do you take attendance?

>

TeachK-6

How do you take attendance?
Old 10-24-2009, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been working in the middle school and high school quite a bit this year which is new for me, I have always focused on Elementary. I was wondering about how you take attendance for each class? If there is a seating chart I will usually look for the empty seats and call out the names of the students who are not there just to make sure. If I do not have a seating chart I just call out everyone's name. It can be quite time consuming to call out 25 names and wait for a "here" response. Does anyone have any tips/tricks that would make taking attendance easier and quicker?

TeachK-6 is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 10-24-2009, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I like taking attendance that way. I sketch the room in advance and as I call out their names I give them nod and write their names in place. I tell them their school is my favorite place to sub so I want to match faces with names so that I'll know them when I come back. I look them each right in the eyes in a friendly way, but like I have control of the classroom. I act like I'm having the best time ever and that I'm interested in them. Yes, it takes a while, but it's worth every minute in establishing myself in their classroom. I credit this strategy with my better experiences in HS and even MS (when I go there).

I don't like the seating charts with their pictures that teachers occasionally leave. There's a difference between how students look when mommie brings them in to get a picture taken and when they are sitting in the classroom unwashed and looking for my vulnerablilities!!!!
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 10-24-2009, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Pick a good student and ask them who is missing. Later, match up your numbers and you'll probably be able to take attendance by way of elimination! If you don't trust middle schoolers with so much as a pencil (I wouldn't!) ask several kids who is missing... also listen to the students talk to each other... if someone is pulling something on you, chances are one will slip up!
ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

attendance...
Old 10-24-2009, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

in elementary school I usually just go by name tags on the desks as they sit down. Close to the time when attendance needs to go to the office, I ask a kid about the kids whose desks are empty. Sometimes they come in late.

In middle school, I wait for the kids to find their seats then I go to the first person in each row and quietly ask them who is missing in the row. They are usually good at telling me who is missing, who is at breakfast, who is in the hall etc.

In high school...I introduce myself...then ask if anyone is missing before I start.

I don't call names out loud...it just doesnt work for me.
RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 10-25-2009, 04:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

same here Rad...I usually wait until the 1st set of students roll in (MS) and ask them where everybody sits...if they forget it's ok...

Usually, at the beginning of the day, I sketch where all the seats are so I'm not doing this as they come in so as the day rolls by I just pull out the chart and fill in their names..this doesn't take more than a few minutes....

yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetosub

What thordau4 said
Old 10-25-2009, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Take the time. You make sure you're establishing control.

I give my "no cell phones, no Ipods, etc." speech Before taking attendance. This way, when I actually do take attendance, I can mark with a little note who was mouthing off already. Then I can keep an eye on them even better......
lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

for me...
Old 10-25-2009, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If there is a seating chart, just announce that you will take attendance off the chart so everyone needs to get in the correct seat. Get them started on the lesson. While they are reading or working take roll and send it in or call it in or whatever. If they THEN come up and say did you count me absent? Say I don't know - I went off the seating chart. Of course, they will have some explanation of why they weren't in their seat and you can say - sorry, you'll have to explain that to your teacher when she gets back to get it changed, you have already sent it in. (I usually leave a note fo the teacher about it ie. Suzy was not in her assigned seat so she was marked absent - I let her know it is up to her to make this right w/ you.)

I love the classes where they have the photo seating charts. THose rock.

And then there are those classes where there is no roll, or anything. Those are usually the rooms that threaten chaos if you breath wrong so sorry to say attendance is pretty low priority to me then. If I can get it done and still keep the peace I have them come up and sign in - I only let them sign one name then give those to the teacher and let HER turn in the roll when she gets back - I mean, she didn't leave anything for me to do it w/ and in jr and sr. high that is important so I figure they can make sense of the mess. And for those I can't or don't take roll on - I dont' worry about it. The office usually figures it out.

(We are supposed to have a sub password so we can take attendanc eon the computer but it is never working)

MissESL

Old 10-26-2009, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Put a desk by the door for a sign in sheet. Then before class begins, make sure everyone who was there signed in by announcing it the last chance to avoid and unexcused. It's simple and you can check later who signed in. You may want to make a point of standing there and keeping an eye on it if the class is...interesting/unruly/wild/slightly dishonest.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

mstngmom

how to take attendance
Old 10-26-2009, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I use the seating chart left by the teacher. I have never NOT had a teacher leave a seating chart.(except for PE,then it was easy because they had their last name on their PE uniform, or ask several students) This is what I do: I tell the kids that they have to sit in their assigned seat because I am using it(the seating chart) to take roll. Then I tell the kids that if they are not in their assigned seat they need to get there NOW or they will be marked absent.(mass movement)
After several seconds when they are settled down I proceed to take roll silently using the seating chart, if someone is not in the correct seat, I mark them absent like I said I would. If they come in late after I have taken roll. I just ask them their name or watch where they sit and then change the absnece to a tardy.

You can do this while the class is working on there opener or after they strt working on their assignment. it only takes about 5-10 minutes.
This works great, in my area, noone wants to be marked absent when they are actually present, because the school will call the parents and tell the parents that their child was sluffing.

Another great way to take roll and verify who was absent/tardy is to match the names on the assignments with the names on the roll and/or the seating chart.
This is great for the end of the period because it lets you know if any students are lying.

Last edited by mstngmom; 10-26-2009 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: not finished
mstngmom is offline   Reply With Quote