How to Motivate Kids/Principal Walks in the room! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

How to Motivate Kids/Principal Walks in the room!

>

Teachermom65

How to Motivate Kids/Principal Walks in the room!
Old 10-26-2009, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi folks,

I could use some words of wisdom on how you would handle a situation where you are subbing a small class of kids who were supposed to pair off and edit each others' essays. What would you do if several of the students would not do the work, but were talking quietly and not disturbing others? I walked around; said that I would help them; reminded them that if they did the work in class, they wouldn't have to deal with it later; told them I would let the teacher know that they didn't work. I just didn't think that getting into a confrontation, yelling or sending them out of class was appropriate. Maybe there are other ideas of things I could have done that I'm not considering?

I am asking b/c I was horrified that the principal walked in the classroom (she said to look at the computer desk!). I was working one-on-one with a student who needed a great deal of help. There were other students working and also students not working. However, the non-working students were not preventing the others from concentrating. Regardless, I felt like she must of thought I was doing a horrible job to walk in. She didn't say anything though.

Thanks for any responses!

Teachermom65 is offline   Reply With Quote

stizzle

Old 10-26-2009, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Generally in that situation, I try to ask them questions to get them refocused back on the work. Basically the kind of questions I would ask them if they were to come up to me and ask for help ("Okay, what are we going to look at first?" "Let see if we can find a good place to start...")

Also, if I can tell that an assignment has the possibility to be something they are easily distracted from, I make it their "Ticket to _______" (the blank usually being something fun. It's usually "recess") to give them an incentive to finish.

Otherwise I let them know that if I come around again and they aren't any further than they were the last time, they will be separated and either forced to do the work on their own or forced to have them do something silently.

I doubt that the principal even noticed that students weren't talking about the assignment especially if the other working students were talking as well.

Don't sweat it, calmly refocus, and let them sink or swim. Write down the names and let the teacher know.
stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

jack of all trades....
Old 10-26-2009, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

wouldn't it be great if we could wave a magic wand and have everybody fall in line....!!! WOW!!!!!

yes, you did everything correctly, you reminded them to stay on task and if they needed help you'd be around...as a sub when we get into a one on one situation we can get totally focused on that one student and let everybody else slide....

I've had this happen to me on more than one occasion so I basically sit in such a way that I can see the whole class....

as far as the principal is concerned he/she was just dropping in to see how things are going...as long as your classroom was not in total chaos then you're ok...sometimes we sweat the small stuff for no reason

remember, we can't be "ON" all the time..not even the regular teachers can be "ON"...so give yourself some slack...

HINT: next time a principal comes in...stop what you're doing...go up and talk to them (if they seem approachable)you'd be surprised at what they tell you.
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetosub

You did fine
Old 10-27-2009, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have to pick our battles, and you must've known that forcing those students to do something that they were absolutely, positively refusing to do would've created more headache and more drama than you needed! Good for you!

As long as you leave a detailed note for the teacher about who did and who didn't do their work, there's nothing more you could've done.
lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Nuclear Sub
Old 10-28-2009, 11:10 AM
This message has been deleted by Nuclear Sub. Reason: oops read the question wrong