Help

Substitute Teachers

High School

>

googiebump

High School
Old 10-29-2009, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my fifth year to sub but I've subbed it all at one elementary school. I've been busy this year up until three weeks ago and since then have only been called for the nurse's office. I'm the only sub they want in there. I asked the sub caller about this and she said Oh yeah we're trying to keep the new subs busy so they won't go to the other schools. I said You need to keep me busy or I'll be going to the other schools!

Anyway, I went by a couple other schools today and left my name and phone number with them. The high school signed me up to work tomorrow. She said she didn't know who I'd be subbing for until she worked out my schedule in the morning. So I really have no way to prepare! I feel like I'll be starting all over again, looking like one of those wide eyed new subs that has no idea what they're doing or where they're supposed to be.

I'm going to spend some time today looking through the posts on this board but I'd appreciate any advice yall can give me about subbing in high school. Augustus? Please? I've always learned from what you have to say.

Tammy

googiebump is offline   Reply With Quote

Augustus

Old 10-29-2009, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I seriously don't know what to tell you. It depends on if they are seniors or ninth graders And what kind of school it is. I'll bet you find it isn't too different from elementary in that you just keep them busy. Don't give an opening speech, just give them the assignment. Be prepared to let some things go, like if they are not sitting where they belong and if they sit there and talk while they work. Don't let anyone be rude to you. If they are give them a chance to backtrack. I won't say apologize as apologizing is so hard for these kids today. Be very low key and say please and thank you. And if someone gets rude send him out. find a few helpful girls, most likely, to take attendance.
I am going to bet that you like it a great deal, but it is different. Let us know how it goes.
Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote

red leaf

Best of Luck
Old 10-29-2009, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Great suggestions from Augustus...for any age. I'm strictly elementary so I have great admiration for those of you who dare to tread in the middle and high schools!!
red leaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

Don't give an opening speech
Old 10-29-2009, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I find that I'm always giving opening speeches; I can't see myself handing out work and letting students begin without any kind of introduction or explanation of the instructions. No wonder I'm always exhausted by the end of the day.
Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

High school
Old 10-29-2009, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a running joke about middle school versus high school students; while hyperactive middle schoolers need to cut the caffeine and the sugar, drowsy high schoolers need to stock up on the caffeine! Many a time I've been in a high school class where I've asked students "Geez, doesn't anyone drink Dunkin Donuts before coming to class?" Augustus is right though; it all depends on the grade, as 9th graders have a lot more in common with middle schoolers than high schoolers.

Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

Augustus

Old 10-29-2009, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I can't see myself handing out work and letting students begin without any kind of introduction or explanation of the instructions." Yeh, I didn't mean to not go over the directions with them. I think we all know you can read the directions ten times and still have the one ask, "What are we supposed to do?" I meant the intros that I have seen elementary subs give. "I am Mrs. Sub and I have a dog and a cat and I like walking in the rain, making snicker-doodles, scary movies and now I would like to tell about my family trip to Disney World." That kind of stuff will make it hard for you in high school.
I just hope googie doesn't get a bunch of ninth graders.
Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote

googiebump

Old 10-30-2009, 03:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Oh shoot, I had my pictures all ready to take up there...you know, the ones of my dog and cat going to Disney World? In the rain? haha

Just kidding. I get your point and I appreciate the help. I'm going to give it a try for today and see how it goes. I figure once you've done kindergarten, you can handle anything.

I will post this afternoon and let yall know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Tammy
googiebump is offline   Reply With Quote