Help

Substitute Teachers

Kindergarten

>

kjuda

Kindergarten
Old 10-30-2009, 03:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be subbing in Kindergarten next week. This will be a first for me. Any advice? What to expect? It is just halfday pm, so I figured it's a good way to get my feet wet with these rugrats! (don't get me wrong: I love this age but have never had to TEACH them!)

kjuda is offline   Reply With Quote

YILuv2Teach

Old 10-30-2009, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have a good story or two that would make good read alouds. A good story usually does wonders to calm them down. Also, have a couple of songs ready for when you notice they need to get some wiggles out. K teachers usually have tons of cds, so you just might want to ask the other teacher for a few good songs that the kids would know (Is Kindergarten a half day where you are? Here it is, so 2 teachers share each room. Either way, I'm sure a neighboring teacher would be able to help) Last piece of advice would be if you need something easy to get them quiet and listening you can do: "Simon Says" or "If you can hear me, put your hand on your head etc" Good luck!
YILuv2Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

oh yeah...
Old 10-30-2009, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

WEar comfy shoes. Flats if you got em. Bring a coat - they might have recess.

Keep tissues in your pocket at all times so when they need them you'll have em.

Do not wear you most expensive beautiful outfits - depending on the type of reg. teacher you never know w/ kindy if you will be painting, sitting on the floor, etc.

Try not to continually bend over their work to talk to them - you back will be killing you by the end of the day.

Bring some name tags if you got them (or labels) in case the teacher doesn't have any - this is very helpful. Even if their desks are marked I find they rarely sit at them (usually in centers) Something about kindy they expect you to call them by their name. It helps.

Bring your own fooda nd drinks- these teachers rarely get breaks that are long enough b/c here we hav eto greet them and then wait for their pick up so it cuts into our utime sometimes.

Do not worry if some of them don't speak yoru language - that intimidates some subs - kindy kids are quick to pick up on things and it is fun really. A few weeks ago I taught kindy to kids who could barely speak eng and it was fun. They are patient. (I didn't know their language)

And my "trick" for little kids is to smell really really good. I usually use that bath and body works stuff in brown sugar vanilla - the kids say I smell like cookies and who doesn't love cookies!!! (they tend to not like flowery scents) Oh and don't wear a lot of jewlery unless you don't mind being touched - I find that kindy kids love to touch my jewlry and I get sensory overload from people touching me so this is one less touch I get if I don't wear it. (i'd rather have hugs kwim)
subczy

subczy

oh yeah...
Old 10-30-2009, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

WEar comfy shoes. Flats if you got em. Bring a coat - they might have recess.

Keep tissues in your pocket at all times so when they need them you'll have em.

Do not wear you most expensive beautiful outfits - depending on the type of reg. teacher you never know w/ kindy if you will be painting, sitting on the floor, etc.

Try not to continually bend over their work to talk to them - you back will be killing you by the end of the day.

Bring some name tags if you got them (or labels) in case the teacher doesn't have any - this is very helpful. Even if their desks are marked I find they rarely sit at them (usually in centers) Something about kindy they expect you to call them by their name. It helps.

Bring your own fooda nd drinks- these teachers rarely get breaks that are long enough b/c here we hav eto greet them and then wait for their pick up so it cuts into our utime sometimes.

Do not worry if some of them don't speak yoru language - that intimidates some subs - kindy kids are quick to pick up on things and it is fun really. A few weeks ago I taught kindy to kids who could barely speak eng and it was fun. They are patient. (I didn't know their language)

And my "trick" for little kids is to smell really really good. I usually use that bath and body works stuff in brown sugar vanilla - the kids say I smell like cookies and who doesn't love cookies!!! (they tend to not like flowery scents) Oh and don't wear a lot of jewlery unless you don't mind being touched - I find that kindy kids love to touch my jewlry and I get sensory overload from people touching me so this is one less touch I get if I don't wear it. (i'd rather have hugs kwim) enjoy!!!!!!

Augustus

Old 10-30-2009, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

"And my "trick" for little kids is to smell really really good. I usually use that bath and body works stuff in brown sugar vanilla - the kids say I smell like cookies and who doesn't love cookies!!!"

Now that is what I call playing all the cards in your deck. Who would have thought. Maybe for my ninth graders I can go to school smelling like pot , most of them would like that. Certain other people would not like it, however.

Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote

kjuda

Augustus....
Old 10-30-2009, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Roflmao!!!

kjuda

Great suggestions!
Old 10-30-2009, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Keep 'em coming! I am tall so wearing flats is vital. Even when I sub in first grade, I end up with a sore back if I'm not careful. And...I forgot about the painting gig and also sitting on the floor. Hmmm...looks like I'm going to have to review all of my old camp counselor songs. Thank you...these are exactly what I need to hear and great reminders to get me back in the mindset.

red leaf

My kindergarten magic bullet
Old 10-30-2009, 09:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I've got one great trick and it works in even the most challenging K classes.
I tell a story called Lizard's Song. Not read it, but tell it. It's the only story I know and it's the perfect story for Pre-k, K and 1st. It's got music, adventure, lots of feelings kids can relate to, and even some deliciously scary parts. It takes 20 minutes to tell and they LOVE it. I've told it a hundred times and never get tired of it, partly because it's so much fun to tell, and partly because the glow of delight in the children's faces is just one of the sweetest gifts! They want to hear it again on return visits. They sing the song from it. I could easily turn it into a study unit if needed.
I wish I could share it with you...but I made it what it is--the book it came from isn't likely to be anywhere near as entertaining--I learned the tale at a storytelling workshop long ago.
Gee, I think I'm talking myself into browsing around for another good story to memorize. There are lots of good books out there with short stories to tell.
Now I think I'll go out and find something that will make me smell like a cookie...
red leaf is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

place to browse
Old 11-01-2009, 10:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

George Shannon who wrote Lizard's Song also wrote Dance Away--it would make a good story to tell and have the students up and dancing, if you like controlled chaos.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

red leaf

Thanks broomrider
Old 11-03-2009, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I just ordered Dance Away from the library. Maybe it will be my next story!
I taught a class of second graders yesterday and they requested Lizard's Song--that I told them 2 years ago in Kindergarten. They even remembered the melody of the song!

red leaf is offline   Reply With Quote