Substitute Teachers

Volunteering and substitute teaching

>

SallyK7

SallyK7

Volunteering and substitute teaching
Old 11-03-2009, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been out of work for a few months and will start substitute teaching in a few days. While I was out of work I started volunteering at 2 different schools to fill part of my time while I was looking for work. Now that I have the substitute job, I am unsure what to quit doing. Should I continue volunteering at one of the schools or drop both and try to substitute full time? I just don't know what is realistic as far as a schedule with substitute teaching. One thing I thought of was letting the teachers know that if they could have a flexible schedule that I could come in on my days off?

Kataqueens

In this economy
Old 11-03-2009, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The more work, the more money, the better off you will be. While volunteering is a noble cause, if you have the opportunity to work every day as a substitute, then you should quit volunteering and stick to subbing.
Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 11-03-2009, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

how about having to sub there? I used to volunteer at my son's school when he was in 1st grade and stopped because subbing was paying...cha ching!!!!

Don't worry about the school's not getting volunteers; they will always have parents who are willing to fill in the gap
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

A thought
Old 11-03-2009, 09:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You may want to consider just subbing for awhile and letting the schools know that due to financial considerations you need to work rather than volunteer. That way they may call you to sub and you won't turn down paid work for free work.

I have a hunch you don't want to be undependable .
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

wuttadeal

I don't do both...
Old 11-04-2009, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I won't volunteer at the schools where I sub. To me, it feels a little like I'm giving away for free what I could be getting paid for. Also, I don't want to tie up my potential subbing days by being committed to a volunteer assignment. The only exception to this is that I will help out with one-time events at my children's schools such as an ocassional field trip or concert.

wuttadeal is offline   Reply With Quote