Help

Substitute Teachers

Guilt...

>

Lilybook

Guilt...
Old 11-02-2009, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have accepted a position for the rest of this week at a school in my town....it is my first time at this school and it is in my preferred age group. Since noon today I have recieved 4 other calls asking if I could sub tomorrow.....why do I feel guilty for having to say that I'm booked. I haven't had this many calls in a day before so now I get all worried that the people who I've said no to won't call me again...
Does anyone else feel guilty for not being available?

Lilybook is offline   Reply With Quote

Augustus

Old 11-02-2009, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The schools don't feel guilty if they don't call you. The schools don't feel guilty if they don't give you a raise in ten years. The schools don't feel guilty if they don't anything to help you acquire health insurance. I sure don't feet guilty if more than one school calls me a day. And they do it all the time. You need to get over this guilt trip, because I guarantee you the schools don't really care much about you at all.
Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote

Prairiegirl

Old 11-02-2009, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used to feel guilty, but for reasons similar to Augustus', I sure don't anymore. Any school that is that disappointed over my being busy can put me on retainer. Plus, chances are, someone else rejected them before they called you. Subs belong to a pool, not a team.
Prairiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

feast or famine
Old 11-02-2009, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Maybe the schools will call you more if they think that others want you. Perhaps they will call you in advance, even.

Saying "I'm sorry, but I'm booked. Please call me again, I like your school" seems to work for me. It's nice to be a scarce commodity.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 11-03-2009, 02:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree. Lots of times when I've said I'm already working that day, the caller would book me in advance for another day. They don't want to lose out next time.

Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 11-03-2009, 04:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

the schools won't care about you if you have a difficult class; if you post some negative comments about students and never get called back; if the teacher doesn't like you for whatever reason and gets you canned from the school; if the principal doesn't like you because you went out for lunch and she took you off the list and on and on......

guilty???? NOTTT here
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 11-03-2009, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree with all previous posters. Schools don't care about substitutes except as a "body" that is there to cover their liability.
And I immediately speculated that Lilybook is a female. I hear women apologizing way more than men. We feel so guilty and sorry just to take up space!
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

WenReuLau

I must have hit the jackpot !!
Old 11-03-2009, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I only sub at one school, it's the one my kids go to, but I really feel like I am part of the family over there. I had to pass yesterday and today because both of my kids have been sick, and I truly do feel guilty because I have a lot of close friends that are teachers who depend on me to carry out their lesson plans. I know I won't get a raise every year or health insurance, but that's part of having a job that keeps me in touch with my kid's education and keeps me from having to pay for after school child care. My husband has a great benefit package with his job and he is the main breadwinner of the family. I simply make extra money doing something that I love to do. I am very lucky to sub at a great school.
WenReuLau is offline   Reply With Quote
carlel

carlel

answer
Old 11-03-2009, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I couldn't sleep last night for the same reason, when I finally did fall asleep I woke up early, exhausted and felt nauseous..... I think this feeling of (guilt) is common but don't worry they'll call you back.. as they did me...

MissESL

Old 11-04-2009, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

In college, woking for my degree, I subbed a lot. I alway felt bad if I had to skip it due to class or being booked. Subs are in short supply--I know I am now alway desperately searching for a good one who can work with my kids, who with a total of 16--are also at 16 different learning levels! Whn four or five schools call, it is because they are going down their lit until they find someone available. I know that many schools have 'priority' lits or lits of people they want to sub over other sub--maybe you are on such a list.

Smile, decline, but make it clear you are booked and would love to have the opportunity another time. :-) They DO need you!

MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote