Help

Substitute Teachers

I've been subbing about 6 weeks now

>

Art/Eng guy

I've been subbing about 6 weeks now
Old 10-31-2009, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

and I would like to improve my teaching skills. I am a certified teacher, however I graduated college over a decade ago. My subbing assignments are k-5, and I feel like I get the point across on the lessons. Yet I feel like I could do better, with the proper tools. I want to use the summer to improve my knowledge on subject matter, and ability at teaching. Any suggestions?

Art/Eng guy is offline   Reply With Quote

viktoriag

Old 10-31-2009, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not a certified teacher but I have found that the best way to improve is just to keep doing it. Also, I have learned a lot by subbing for resource teachers, who in our district do a lot of in-class support now. So I spend a lot of time as a sub in a room that already has a teacher. I offer support to the struggling students, but at the same time I get to observe all the different styles of teaching, and see what works and maybe even what does not!

And the more time I spend doing the same subject matter, the more I begin to understand how it's supposed to be taught. The curriculum is very specific nowadays in our elementary schools, there is not a lot of room for improvisation.
viktoriag is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

A few books to read
Old 11-01-2009, 09:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You might want to check out Regie Routman's Teaching Essentials (mostly on language arts) and Robert Marzano's The Art and Science of Teaching--he's a researchers who has been doing meta-studies on optimal methods to raise test scores.

Your district may offer some in service classes on teaching that subs are able to take. My district doesn't keep subs out of classes since we need to renew our credentials by taking classes.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

our teachers...
Old 11-02-2009, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

and schools receive educational classes for cont. ed credits (to keep up their licenses) at the school. These are local and area classes. They aren't usually cheap but the topics are very interesting and many are geared toward new teachers. So, ask the secretaries or central office, or better yet the teachers! The classes here range from $100 to $200 per session - each session is usually a few days and in the area so you don't need hotel or antyhing. Good luck!

ckosu

Old 11-20-2009, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would definitely say that you can't expect to be great after 6 weeks. I have learned many things from observing other teachers. if I see something they do that I like, and I use it. I worked for Sylvan Learning for many years and this helped me immensly.

ckosu is offline   Reply With Quote