Help

ESL/LEP

Limited English

>

cowboysrule

Limited English
Old 01-02-2010, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had new student from Taiwan, who speaks very little English, join our classroom about a month ago. Our ESL teacher only works with her for 20 minutes-2 times a week. The rest of the time she is with me in the general classroom.
I feel like I have been ignoring my regular class in order to work with her during all of the other subjects so that she isn't just sitting there. It has become very frustrating! I have done a lot of research and tried to gather things for her to be able to do independently at her seat but it really isn't what she needs. Administration is no help! I have found a couple of interactive sites for her to work on sight words.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

cowboysrule is offline   Reply With Quote

read&see

Old 01-02-2010, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It is alright for her to be just listening some of the time. She is at the silent stage where an unfamiliar language is surrounding her and needs to get used to hearing patterns in words-like certain words that are repeated alot. The ESL teacher is probably teaching her some basic words. It takes various amounts of time for a child to feel comfortable speaking. Plus, her written language is so very different than English.
What grade do you teach?
If you look at some other postings on this board you will find websites others have suggested.
You said the independent work is not what she needs. What do you mean by that?
Why does the ESL teacher only see her for 20 min. Does she work with several schools?
Drawing and labeling are good starting points. Does she know how to write the alphabet?
read&see is offline   Reply With Quote

prakait

No English
Old 01-02-2010, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am in the same boat so I understand what you are going through. This is only my second year of teaching and a week before Winter Break I received a student from Turkey who does not speak any English. On top of that, he has been acting out and is very distracting to the other students. I have not received any help from administration, but other teachers have told me to start with the basics and create a separate curriculum for this student. I am still very confused and overwhelmed!

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it!
prakait is offline   Reply With Quote

cowboysrule

Keep on trying
Old 01-03-2010, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My student is in fourth grade and is beginning to act out too. She is a year older than the students in my room. Since she is used to Chinese, reading English is very different to her.

When she first came we were doing very hands on science curriculum which she could take part in. Now we are doing the drug unit which is based heavily on vocabulary. She understands basic math but cannot do the reading portion.

I did go to the primary grades and got handwriting books and created some workbooks for her. I got a list of the basic sight words to work with. I have her taking each word and drawing a picture of it since she loves to draw.

Our ESL teacher has several schools that she goes to so at this point she doesn't have any materials to work with her while she is with her. She is doing a lot of testing which is way over the little girl's head since she only knows the letters of the alphabet.

I will explore the peer helper idea and see how that goes. I had some students working with her during SSR. I gathered a basket of basic books/picture books for her so that she would be reading just like everyone else.

I am hoping that she picked up some more things while she was home with her family over the winter break.
Thanks for the ideas.
cowboysrule is offline   Reply With Quote

read&see

Old 01-04-2010, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you have access to a computer you can try www.starfall.com for reading.
Also try Pete's Power Points website to see if there is some basic vocabulary for her.
Also peache~books
At this time it would be better for her to do just computation for math until she can read and understand the questions.
I subscribe to Enchanted Learning, abcteach, edhelper and through the school I have access to books from readinga-z which also has science a-z.

read&see is offline   Reply With Quote