Gifted Education

0 credit class motivation?

>

Vbmr2eBD

Vbmr2eBD

0 credit class motivation?
Old 01-13-2010, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My administrator has chosen to not give gifted students grades in the classes I teach. Gifted kids pick up pretty quickly that if they are not getting graded why do the work.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can keep these, very capable, students working and learning? I have tried every motivational technique I can think of but several kids are not responding. They do not want to and see no point in completing work and tasks if they are not graded.

Any good ideas?

yesteach

Same problem...
Old 01-13-2010, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

only my admin has said give grades... but I give them to the homeroom teacher and they choose whether or not to use them... some it makes a difference, some it doesn't.

However, I have gotten permission to set up our gradebook program so that I can enter their projects/grades there, but then not "submit" them to the report card. This way, even though there's no grade - their graded work, incomplete projects, etc. are all listed there for the parents to see when they check it out! Grades became a little less relevant when the parents see they aren't doing the work in the class..

Also, we've added "failure to complete assigned work/projects" as a criteria for probation and removal from our program. Usually one conversation with parents that they will be dismissed from the program if they don't turn in work solves the problem..
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

magoosmom

I agree
Old 01-14-2010, 04:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Even though you cannot give grades, perhaps you can give a progress report. Have them help you design rubrics for the projects and then evaluate them using those rubrics. You can give them a chance to evaluate themselves as well, but your rubric counts towards the progress report. Then each nine weeks or semester, send home a progress report with the scores they have received to the parents and contact parents of students who are underperforming in the classroom.

As with yesteach, our district has two ways to suspend someone out of the gifted program--if a parent requests it or if a child is not performing up to the gifted classroom expectations.

I would also consider giving them a contract for each semester that they agree to complete xxx projects.

My middle schoolers do work for grades but my elementary students do not--however, they do get progress reports. Last year, I also gave them "Merit points" for completing brainteasers, working on projects, etc. and then they were able to shop at the end of the semester for prizes. This year, I just can't seem to keep up with all of that and decided to stop doing it. The kids don't really miss it and I sure don't either.
magoosmom is offline   Reply With Quote

dash

Old 01-19-2010, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We do not give grades as well...
We are sending/mailing Progress Report to the parents (3 times a year), and have the parents sign the slip. It helps with some of the kids, and at the same time you have a documented report of their progress. Our district decided to include them in ss' cums.
I am starting independent creative projects this February with the students, and sending home a rubric with expectations. (just finished working on them!) I also let the parent know that if the students do not fulfill the requirements (not prepared, quality of the work, etc.), then 1) the parents will be informed about that - after 2 times that happens, and 2) the student will be "excused" from participating in the GT. (my supervisor supports that)
I am just tired of how lazy some of my students are! I hope this will help me to mange those kids.
dash is offline   Reply With Quote