Help

Fifth Grade

150 years Interdiscplinary Unit

>

Cavfam622

150 years Interdiscplinary Unit
Old 02-06-2010, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I treach 5th grade at a catholic grade school. As a school, we are celebrating 150 years and are having an Open House in April to commemorate. We are to transoform our rooms to certain time periods.....my room is to be transformed into 1920-1950. Not too tough to transform that interesting era!! HOWEVER, we are to complete activites with our students to cover ALL 150 years and just place the finished products in the appropriate classrooms (eras). We are to take this across the curriculum and we will spend every Monday beginning February 8th through the middle of April to complete htis project. I am in need of ideas/themes to get this project off the ground....remember CROSS-CURRICULAR! :-) All suggestione welcome!!! :-)

Many thanks!! :-)

Cavfam622 is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmm115

Project types
Old 02-06-2010, 09:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Neither of the attached projects fit your description - BUT - the instructions and product might be applicable. One is for researching factoids for the '20's and the other is a kind of time line of major events in the first 100 years of American history.

They both have directions.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Twenties & Century.doc (95.5 KB, 27 views)
ajmm115 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cavfam622

Old 02-07-2010, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks so much!!! Very helpful!! :-)
Cavfam622 is offline   Reply With Quote

jeanmarie

Games
Old 02-09-2010, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What about focusing on one major topic - like games, toys, children's lives, history of your town, buidlings etc. Kids could work on murals or dioramas to share findings and research. Some topics could have models made. If you go with murals/collage/posters for an era, you could find primary sources such as diaries or photos and incorporate findings from those. That way you would be using history/social studies, math if you recreate to scale, lots of reading and writing, art, music, etc. What about selecting buildings in your town from that were constructed during an era - some should still be standing. Then you could research who built it and why (maybe do personal interviews on tape/DVD); build it to scale etc. I am fascinated by the buildings in our little town that were built over 100 years ago - they have years and family names on the fronts. I always wanted to research those, but doesn't quite fit into my time blocks and S/B I have to cover.
jeanmarie is offline   Reply With Quote