Help

The Job Search

Career Changer Portfolio

>

*MsG!*

Career Changer Portfolio
Old 01-19-2007, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What sort of things should be in a portfolio? I would like to start putting one together so I can get a real job more expediently. I have a digital portfolio from my undergrad days when I was on a scientific career track that was useful for getting into grad school. I also have the option of uploading documents for a portfolio in TeachInFlorida.com. So far I have my extended CV. I can't use any materials from my current teaching position due to non-disclosure agreements. I do have a couple of lesson plans from when I was a graduate teaching assistant. I'm going for sciences in grade 6 and up so I'm sure I could make a couple of other lesson plans etc.
As a career changer I can think of several ways that working in the sciences translates to teaching:
1. Scientists must be proficient mathematics, reading and oral and written communication.
2. Scientists must be able to work in teams with people from a variety of backgrounds.
3. Scientists must be creative.

I need suggestions on what sort of materials I can use to demonstrate the above.
All suggestions appreciated.

*MsG!* is offline   Reply With Quote

mentorteach

Some ideas
Old 01-20-2007, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As a science teacher, you will be in great demand. Science and math are considered "critical areas" for most school systems, esp. the large ones. I know the two I'm applying to now (for next year when I relocate) offer signing bonuses for 6-12 sci/math candidates. For most portfolios, you should have:
--resume
--phil. of ed. statement
--sample units/lesson plans
--photographs of you in action
--recommendation letters
--credentials

I've been teaching for 12 years and sat on several teacher interview panels, and I can tell you that most principals will not ask to see your portfolio. That being said, it cannot hurt to have these documents handy, even if on a web site or CD ROM. Good luck!
mentorteach is offline   Reply With Quote

*MsG!*

Old 01-27-2007, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Ok I am working on my online portfolio. So far I have included:
1. Extended resume
2. Fingerprint results
3. Statement of Eligibility
4. Two lessons I used when I was tutoring an adult ESL student
3. One lesson plan from a lecture I gave as a grad student/TA

All this stuff gets turned into pdf's and is accessible to recruiters from FL schools. I need to write my philosophy of ed. still and I am thinking of including my "Disposition to Teach" questionnaire that I am writing for admission to the EPI here. I have 1 MB to use and I haven't used much yet. What else could I put up there? I do have a scan of my undergrad transcripts that I'm really not bashful about adding. I don't have any letters of rec for teaching and in my former career it would have been gauche to carry around letters of rec. so that doesn't work.
*MsG!* is offline   Reply With Quote