Help

ESL/LEP

Planning

>

New 2 ESL

Planning
Old 03-19-2010, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am an elementary pull out ESL teacher. I have grades k -5. I try to make my lessons as thematic as possible. However, I'm struggling because I do not have a concrete program. Each day I see every single grade.

I can plan out aims in my head but I can't find materials to go with the themes I want to teach. Sometimes, I make up my own worksheets to go with the themes but it is too tedious to do for every single grade. I am struggling with planning since I have every single grade. I feel like I can't focus on one grade and learn the curriculum if I have every grade at once. I don't have access to technology because I am in a small room. Therefore, I do not have an overhead or a listening center. I have a limited amount of hands-on materials. How are these kids supposed to learn without manipulatives?

My 4-5 group consists of readers who need help with comprehension, grammar, and vocabulary. However, my school doesn't even provide me with books for these kids so i can create units. I am not even provided with a thematic library or multicultural books.....ughh any suggestions with planning when you don't have thematic materials?

New 2 ESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Wild4Teaching

Ideas...
Old 03-30-2010, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I feel your pain! I work with K-12, and I have struggled with the same problem. This year I was really lucky and my county bought Cornerstone (from Longman Pearson) for my elementary kids, and it is WONDERFUL. However, I know that budgets are tight. So, I have a subscription to two websites - teacherfilebox.com (from Evan Moore), and Scholastic printables, which you can get to from scholastic.com, under teachers. These are both great resources, that are relatively inexpensive (I pay the monthly fees myself). You can check them both out before you subscribe. I have found these to be an invaluable resource because of the different grade levels that I have to cover. Hope this helps!!!
Wild4Teaching is offline   Reply With Quote