Help

Fifth Grade

Should I feel guilty?

>

fahajj

Should I feel guilty?
Old 05-08-2010, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am just 4 days from giving my first state test of the year. It took me all of ten minutes to write out my plans for the week, review, review, review. I feel guilty. I feel like my students are wasting time reviewing. Yes they need it and we have been doing it for a few weeks but I feel that the days are slipping away that we could finally do some fun learning. Should I feel guilty for just reviewing? I really want them all to pass the first time and save my self a b**** chewing but feel like they are just wasted days. Help!

fahajj is offline   Reply With Quote

GiantSubs

Can you make the review sessions fun?
Old 05-08-2010, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We played Jeopardy in teams, I had them sit on their desks and we threw a ball around, we did jumping jacks and pushups between activities, and had extra recess if everyone did a good job. Have them write down their answers on notebook paper, crumble it up, and throw it around the room in a snowball fight - after a few minutes, call time and have them pick up the closest paper and go back to their desks and check answers. Yes, they need the review, but it can still be fun!
GiantSubs is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmm115

fun
Old 05-08-2010, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Reviewing can certainly be fun, but NEVER throwing!!!! Maybe emphasizing tossing underhanded - but that's hardly a snowball fight, is it?

Writing and illustrating short stories, putting themselves into history is fun too. Creating readers theater with history!! is fun. Use that textbook and pick some passages where there is something interesting - an actual STORY - and run-off copies of those pages and mark parts in different colors. You really can make a fun project out of this. Kids get dramatic - and they're moving - first forward then backward. Not boring in the least.

If you have sharp kids, have them create intros for this using facts. We always had 3 x 5 cards of facts for each unit that the kids created anyway.

But DON'T throw. Can't think of any other way to say that. You're asking for trouble and there should be a flat out ban on throwing in the room anyway. (Have to admit I break that ban when I use a Nerf ball teaching prepositions.)
ajmm115 is offline   Reply With Quote

Queen of Pink

Old 05-08-2010, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The kids need the review in order to pass the test, but you can make it fun. Have a snowball fight, play games such as jeopardy, I have who has, wheel of fortune. Don't feel guilty because you are preparing your students well for tests. Good Luck!
Queen of Pink is offline   Reply With Quote

GiantSubs

A word on snowball fights
Old 05-09-2010, 04:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

To ajmm115, who said NEVER throw - we're talking about pieces of crumbled notebook paper. I've done it several times and it doesn't get out of hand - in fact, the kids know they need to control it if they want to play again. It gives them the chance to move around the room and have some fun, and they love it. In fact, I got the idea from someone on PT!

I can appreciate that not everything works for everyone, but using words like never isn't really fair. It may not work for you, although you did say you throw a Nerf ball around which isn't all that different in my opinion, but please don't make blanket statements about other people's ideas.

To the original poster, you got some great ideas here - I really like the idea about Reader's Theater plays with history.

GiantSubs is offline   Reply With Quote