Help

ESL/LEP

Help with New Student

>

TwistingTeach

Help with New Student
Old 03-01-2010, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a new student entering my third-grade class this week who speaks no English. Unfortunately, she will have to participate in linguistically modified state testing (in English) her first three days of school here, so I will not be able to arrange the kind of welcome I would like to since testing starts first thing in the morning. I would say more about this but that's for the vent board!

Her native language is a version of Aramaic! I tried to find out how to say hello but there were so many dialects my head was spinning. There is no-one in my school who speaks this language. I know I should label everything with pictures and focus on the basics (bathroom, water, colors, numbers, simple school rules), but I am at a loss of how to best meet her needs when I'm teaching the third grade curriculum. She attended school in her native country and she will be pulled out for ESL services for part of the day. Any suggestions about how I should handle things academically and socially? She is an Iraqi refugee who just arrived in America and I want to make her adjustment to school here as pleasant as possible.

TwistingTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

read&see

Old 03-02-2010, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First of all., you've got to be kidding about the state testing!! If a student has been in the US for less than a year they are exempt from state tests except for the plain English math which is mostly computation.
She will have ESL help so that is good. You may want to contact the ESL teacher for suggestions. She will be at the listening stage and should be allowed time to adjust by observing other students. If you have time you could get a few pictures from clipart or google with places you go in the school labeled with the word, like bathroom that she can keep at her desk and hopefully show you when she needs that picture.
You could also see if you can provide her with picture books and/or K-2nd grade level which also have a lot of pictures. There is a website called Starfall that is free that she can use. If your school subscribes to Reading a-z the books are at all levels.
Look at older posts on this ESL board for more suggestions.
read&see is offline   Reply With Quote

TwistingTeach

I wasn't kidding about the state testing
Old 03-02-2010, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was just wrong! I just found out, like you said, that she only has to take the linguistically modified math test. Thank goodness! Thanks for your advice. I met the girl today and she is very attentive and eager to learn. She also showed me some of the things she has already learned, even a little bit of English! My other students were very welcoming to her and are helping her adjust to our routines. I will definitely download some google images for my labels and check the other threads on this board. Thanks again, read and see!
TwistingTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

AndSG

Old 05-10-2010, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've had third grade monolingual students in my classroom in the past. I've given them a picture dictionary so they can see the words with the pictures beside them. I had a student one year that spent all of her writing time looking at the pictures in the dictionary but soon starting talking and writing. She is in high school now and doing well.

As for socially, explain to the other students that she needs time and patience. Show them pictures of where she came from and maybe some customs from her culture. We had refugees at our school from Burundi, Africa and the other students were excited about helping.
AndSG is offline   Reply With Quote