Help

Fifth Grade

Required summer reading program

>

labrae505

Required summer reading program
Old 05-10-2010, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our literacy team put together a required summer reading program. Our principal purchased the books to go home for each of our students. We have have included a reading response packet for each student. The books being sent home are at each students reading level. We just sent home a form to inform parents of the required reading program and stated that books are to be returned and why we are doing this and blah blah. We actually had a parent call to complain and yell at the principal, called the county board and is refusing for their child to read because we can't make them...it's summer and they have other obligations. I am speechless and feel so "beaten up" Here I was so worried that we get the books paid for due to family financial reasons. Has anyone ever encountered this??? How do we handle this???

labrae505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Azure

This was
Old 05-10-2010, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

tried in my district. It didn't work. Who will check the work? Last year's teacher or the new teacher?? The parents don't make the kids follow through, the kids won't read the books. Our district doesn't do this any longer it's hard enough to get the students to complete their homework during the school year.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote

Beagles

Maybe
Old 05-10-2010, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If the goal is to have kids reading during summer, the packet route is probably not so enticing to kids. A few years ago, I did a reading group over the summer at school with the kids I had. I had about 10 kids who participated. It wasn't mandatory and we discussed the reading segment when we met. We did it for a month once a week. There wasn't any writing required, but they just jot down what they wanted to talk about. It was great. I don't think you can get this kind of quality book discussion with a packet. It takes commitment on your part. So if you can get some teachers to do this, it will work well.
Beagles is offline   Reply With Quote

mooseweaver

Oh, yes...
Old 05-11-2010, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have done a similar thing with summer reading lists, full community library (and Librarian) support and had some parents love it and others hate it. Two of the most vocal opponents were TEACHERS who felt that their kids were "off" during the summer from their "job", just as their moms were. Unfortunately the children of these teachers were struggling readers with a history of losing ground over the summer. We have persevered anyway. Our thinking is that if even a few kiddos benefit, we are ahead. There will always be a few sour pickles in the bunch...
mooseweaver is offline   Reply With Quote