Help

Fifth Grade

Good Read Alouds/Class Books

>

Inspire

Good Read Alouds/Class Books
Old 05-09-2010, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm moving from 3rd to 5th. What are some good read alouds you do in 5th grade?

What chapter books do you do in our regular reading program other than basal?

Also, what books do you recommend that I have on my shelf for students to read?

Thanks,
Inspire

Inspire is offline   Reply With Quote

GiantSubs

On your library shelf
Old 05-09-2010, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I recommend any title by the following authors: Gary Paulsen, Andrew Clements, Jeff Kinney, Carolyn Keene, Curtis Paul Armstrong, Rick Riordan, Cornelia Funke, and Anthony Horowitz. My 5th graders were big into series this year, and among their favorites were: Among the Hidden (The Shadow Children), Stormbreaker (Alex Rider series), The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson series - huge with boys and girls), and Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys. I have a wide variety of more classic literature mixed in with the contemporary stuff, like Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I had a voracious group of readers this year so it was a challenge to keep stuff on the shelf!

For novel studies, I did Elijah of Buxton (huge hit), Bridge to Terabithia, From the Mixed Up Files of Basil E. Frankweiler, Hatchet, Where the Red Fern Grows, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, Among the Hidden, and Tuck Everlasting. I loved them all! I'm changing reading programs next year and won't have as much flexibility in choosing what I like, but I found them all engaging for the students and I wasn't having to force them to read.
GiantSubs is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherCarrie

Old 05-09-2010, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Some of the books I have read in the past two years that have been favorites among my students are:

Holes by Sachar
Among the Hidden by Haddix
No Talking by Clements
Fever, 1769 (when we are studying the American Revolution)
Becoming Naomi Leon
The Hundred Dresses
James and the Giant Peach
House on Hackman's Hill
Wait Till Helen Comes
The Watsons go to Birmingham
Sahara Special

There are quite a few more, but these are the books I can remember off of the top of my head. I try to pick books that are from a variety of genres and have a mix of strong characters as well...with some character building thrown in.
TeacherCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmm115

more books
Old 05-09-2010, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Any of the Kate DiCamillo books, but especially Olive's Ocean, The Tiger Rising, Because of Winn Dixie. Shiloh is excellent though many may have already heard it read aloud, and a couple of historical ones come to mind - A Lion to Guard Us, Dear Levi, and Squanto.

A pp already mentioned any Paulsen books, I'd add that any books by Hobbs, particularly Bear Dance are excellent.
ajmm115 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachinpitt

read alouds and novel
Old 05-09-2010, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My 5th graders love "Frindle" by Clement..good first novel study of the year. Read alouds that maintain interest: "Top Ten Ways to Ruin the First Days of 5th Grade", "Magnificent Mummy Maker" , "Tom Sawyer" (abridged edition), "Bud, Not Buddy"(especially with a classroom with African American students).
Final Novel study: Island of the Blue Dolphins (strong female lead).

teachinpitt is offline   Reply With Quote

kay/5

Read Alouds
Old 05-09-2010, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I really like to start the year with Mick Harte was Here by Barbara Park. It's about bicycle safety.
kay/5 is offline   Reply With Quote

J.Elaine

Old 05-10-2010, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Holes by Louis Sachar is one of my all-time favorite books, and I used to always read it aloud -- until . . . the movie came out. It's so much fun for students to discover the next thing that's going to happen, and I feel the movie ruined the element of discovery and surprise. However, I picked it up to read aloud about a week ago, and my students are really loving it. I'm having lots of fun reading it, too! For now, I've forbidden any talk about the movie as we are reading it. Once we finish, if students want to discuss the movie, then we will.

Anyway, in case you haven't figured it out yet, I recommend Holes!!!!!!!!!!
J.Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherCarrie

J.Elaine
Old 05-11-2010, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm the same way! I wanted to read Holes to my first year class so bad (about 5 years back) but I didn't want to b/c I was pretty sure most of them had seen the movie and probably even read the book. So I waited and waited and waited. This year, I finally decided it was time to read it aloud to my class of 5th graders. I only have about 4 that have seen the movie and none of them have ever read Holes. I've told those who have seen the movie not to say a word so that it is a surprise to everyone else just like it was for them. We are going to watch the movie the last week of school and I already told them how different the movie is from the book and how it cut out a lot of the great parts.

I have kids who have found copies of the book and like to grab it and read along with me as I read to my class after lunch. They are obsessed with it! I love Holes too!!!!
TeacherCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote

psu0815

Def,,,,must read.The Watsons go to Birmingham
Old 05-11-2010, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Im reading it right now to my fifth graders and they dont want me to stop~!!!!!!
psu0815 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooseweaver

Wonderful books
Old 05-11-2010, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

OH, yes....read Watson's Go to Birmingham---you will laugh and worry and want to cry at the end. There's so much to use in this story--many teaching moments.

Also, Maniac Magee, The White Giraffe, Magyk, Holes (for sure!), Rick Riordan''s "The Olympians" series, Bridge to Teribithia (if nobody in your class has experienced the recent death of a loved one), The Thief Lord, Zach's Lie.

I have also used Love That Dog as a quick read aloud. It is written in prose and requires some support for kids to understand the subtle things that are happening, but the messages are poignant.

Fifth graders are wonderful and challenging. They will win your heart, and yet frustrate you in ways you can't believe. Have a wonderful year!

mooseweaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Inspire

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2010, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

...Everyone for your suggestions. I did teach 5th grade before, but wanted to see if there are some new titles out there.

I have done Love That Dog during a poetry unit and now also read from the same author Hate That Cat!

I know it can be challenging, but I'm hoping it won't be tooooo challenging. This is going to be my 30th year of teaching and I still LOVE it, so I hope it will be a good year!!!
Inspire is offline   Reply With Quote