Fifth Grade

Organization HELP

>

polkadot86

Organization HELP
Old 05-12-2010, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey Y'all!
So I am finishing up my first year teaching. I'm self contained, so I teach all 5 subjects. I did not do a great job of keeping my kids organized this year. My question is: what organization system do you use in your room? Do your kids use binders, folders, spiral notebooks? I am trying to decide what to do for next year! Any advice would be appreaciated! Thanks!

polkadot86 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsDriver

MrsDriver

Hope...
Old 05-12-2010, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can help.

I hate spiral notebooks. I ban them from my class. They get snagged on things, the kids tear paper out of them and then there are little pieces everywhere. Can't stand them from the deepest part of my heart.

I have tried binders before but my kids didn't keep them organized no matter what I did. I don't think they were ready for detailed organization like that.

I did individual folders (one per subject) this year. I also teach self contained. We used a certain color for a certain subject. I had them use green for writing/language arts; blue for reading; red for science; yellow for math; and purple for social studies. Of course it doesn't matter what colors you use but it is easier for them to pull out a certain color quicker than looking to see which one is labeled for that subject. In the folders one pocket was labeled unfinished work (usually the one in the front). What ever I wanted them to not lose I would hole punch and tell them to put it in the middle at that moment.

They also had a homework folder/reading log folder that was only used for those two purposes. One pocket was labeled, go home and bring back (stuff to be signed) and the other pocket was labeled, go home and stay home (letters, checked work that I didn't need).

I found this worked better for my kids than binders.

JoSo

Duotangs all the way
Old 05-12-2010, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The easiest way is to have duo tangs for each subject. I have them colour cordinated for each subject. I also have a notebook for math and writing. I have the kids clean their desks once a month. I also have a fine and reward system in place. If students are not organized or messy they get fined. This has worked really well. For messy kids I have a box for their desk. They can make this as messy as possible and I really don't care nothing comes out. Hope this helps.
JoSo is offline   Reply With Quote

LindyJo

one more way...
Old 05-14-2010, 03:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm really excited about our plan for next year. It's the same thing the 4th grade teachers do, so we're hoping that we can benefit from the training they did: ). We're asking kiddos to bring those expandable file folders instead of a binder. Then they'll keep papers and a couple spirals in the file folder. We'll be switching classes next year, so they'll take their file folder with them when they go and leave nothing in their desks. We'll collect just about all their supplies for Table buckets anf store the rest for use later in the year. File folders will go home with them daily (just like in middle school) and come back each day.
LindyJo is offline   Reply With Quote

cca

Binder and color folders
Old 05-15-2010, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I ask my students to pick up a zippered binder and 6 particular folders (not the ones with brads). I then hole punch them and we label them and place them in the binder. They then put their homework planner (the school buys them and they are spiral bound and punched) in the front. They also have a pencil packet in front of the planner. No paper is allowed to go in the desk. Every paper goes in its folder. (a place for everything and everything in its place ). They store homework, projects, flashcards, whatever goes with the unit at the time. We then clean them out periodically. It really seems to help those that struggle keep themselves in order. I'm pretty strict about it as we learn the system at the beginning of the year, but it doesn't take long and they master it and I don't have too many "I can't find it". My parents have liked this method, too. Hope this gives you another idea to toss around.

cca is offline   Reply With Quote