Help

Fifth Grade

test scores

>

luvbug

test scores
Old 05-20-2010, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We took the NC Science test today and got our scores back. I am really upset. 10 out of 22 did not pass. These are the same kids that I figures would not pass but I did everything that I knew to do. I feel that I am at such a loss. What can I do that I haven't done? What do you do? What textbook do you use?
Please help. I Want to do better next year - just feel so lost.

luvbug is offline   Reply With Quote

ccsteacher001

Old 05-20-2010, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Wow that was fast! We take the test Mon. and won't know scores til Fri. Thurs. if I'm lucky. Do you use the Coach books or Buckle Down? They really help. I find that the more the kids see science eog style questions the more comfortable they get and the better they do. Using the pre-tests and post-test from those books makes a diff.
I do a lot w/ vocab and of course you know about my brain dump. Wish you'd had that from me sooner. Sorry.
ccsteacher001 is offline   Reply With Quote

jennmcg72

Resource
Old 05-20-2010, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Go to the website below:
http://www.clevelandcountyschools.org/
Click on the Curriculum link and go to the Elementary Resources. Under the Science tab, scroll down to 5th grade and look under Additional Resources. There are some Goal 1-5 Review sheets that may help you review with kids who need to re-take.

Best of luck!
jennmcg72 is offline   Reply With Quote

JacobsMommy

(((hugs)))
Old 05-21-2010, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't have any suggestions. I only teach ELA and our Science teacher doesn't use anything else besides the resources mentioned by PP. I still wanted to post a hug for you, though. You should be happy with your best....that is what matters most!
JacobsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
NC anonymous

NC anonymous

I feel ya...
Old 05-21-2010, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We took ours this week too and got our scores back that afternoon. We had less than half pass. We had about 12 that were right on the border of making a 3 (I'm talking less than 3 points from the cutoff). We took our retest today and will find out how it went this afternoon. We have limited resources to use. I do a lot of brainpop videos with the related activities from the site, I used the Buckle Down series for reteaching the retesters, and I also taught mine to make a "cheat sheet" where they wrote down notes to help them as soon as they got their blank paper (this is probably like the brain dump). We use Study Island here too. It's a wonderful and useful website for review. That's all I've got! Good luck with your retest!

GabbyBobcat

Study Island
Old 05-21-2010, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

is a great resource. I definitely recommend asking your district to look into purchasing it.

I am amazed with how quickly you get scores back - are the tests computerized? We take ours mid-April and don't get scores back until July!!!
GabbyBobcat is offline   Reply With Quote

luvbug

wonderful resources
Old 05-21-2010, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you all so much for the wonderful resources. I feel better today after seeing more information about my scores. The majority of the kids that did not pass are the ones who scored very low in reading last year and they almost passed this science test - 4 students scored at a 151 - this is only 2 points from passing! This is probably the best that they had ever made on any kind of test. My heart breaks for them though. I know how hard they worked and they were so close! I just wish that I didn't have to tell them. This will crush their spirits.
Thank you again for all of your help. You guys are the best!
luvbug is offline   Reply With Quote

Queen of Pink

Old 05-21-2010, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My district received our scores yesterday. I have 5 that have to retest and all but one are within 1-2 points of passing. I would really focus on vocabulary and diagrams for each unit. Also something that may help is having a different person remediate the students because they have a different perspective other than coming from their own teacher. Two teachers on my team are remediating all the kids (32 total). I know how it feels to have a lot not pass because it happened to me last year. Good luck on the re-test!
Queen of Pink is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrpen

science dictionaries
Old 05-21-2010, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don't have to deal with this test but I have colleagues who do. They start having the kiddos create science dictionaries in September. There are a certain number of words each week. All of the words are taken from old tests. There are tons of words. The final dictionary is due right after Christmas break then they start over again in January with vocab quizzes. They don't have any other resources other than what the science teacher uses. I believe she uses the FOSS units.
Hope that helps.
I feel for you as far as scores go. I am waiting for ELA and math scores and feeling queasy.
tchrpen is offline   Reply With Quote