Help

Fifth Grade

Classroom Management

>

teacher03

Classroom Management
Old 05-22-2010, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I just found out that I am moving to 5th grade after teaching kindergarten for 4 years. I can manage a kinder class with my eyes closed, but what do 5th grade teachers use for classroom management? Any ideas would be a huge help.

teacher03 is offline   Reply With Quote

KylaBee

Old 05-23-2010, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi there! My first suggestion is to search for 5th grade classroom webpages and see what other teachers are using, of course. I've emailed a few teachers through their webpages to ask questions and been able to get quick responses.

I use a card system. Basically, they put a red STOP card in a pocket that is labeled with their name. After that, they fill out a Fix It sheet to get signed by their parents. The third step is a detention. I make it clear to students that I reserve the right to skip steps if the offense forces me to do so.

Some people in my school have used Corwin Kronenberg's Above the Line program. Here's a link: http://www.sheboyganfalls.k12.wi.us/...e-the-line.pdf

If the link doesn't show up, you can just search his name on yahoo.

We've also used "The B.B.B." = The Big Black Book. It's just a folder that you have to sign with your name, the offense, and the date. It's a great record keeper and you can figure out how many signatures equals a consequence.

A great book to check out is "Love and Logic" for the classroom. There's several versions, make sure to get the classroom version. It's a great idea that basically allows you to not get emotionally involved in the student's problems. It also puts the problem solving in their arena, which is really necessary in 5th grade.

I wish you luck and if you have any other 5th grade questions, feel free to PM me.
KylaBee is offline   Reply With Quote

LindyJo

Mgmt
Old 05-23-2010, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've used pretty much the same systems since I student taught (they were adopted from my cooperating teacher) and have been pretty effective.

Whole class systems - The class receives Compliment Corn (plain popping corn) when they receive a compliment. I have an 1/8 cup scoop and a compliment from someone in the building is a 1/2 scoop. A compliment from the principal or a guest in the building results in a full scoop. I make a big deal of it at the beginning of the year and when we change jobs. After that it's up to the student who is in charge of compliment corn. I also use strikes. If a large portion of the class is acting inappropriately, I say, "Strike 1." For each strike they DON'T get (up to three) then get a paper link added to the chain. When the chain reaches the floor from the ceiling we have a class party.

Table - I use a lot of cooperative learning, so I've used table points. As I've gained more experience with this age group, I may try to get away from this next year, but it has served well in the past. Kids use positive peer pressure to get their tablemates to follow directions quickly because they want a team point!

Individual - In my room all students have a class job that they apply for each quarter. They are paid tickets for their jobs each Monday and can earn additional tickets during the week for having their agenda signed and for good behavior. Every week or two we have ticket store. They can buy lots of privledges (chewing gum in class, bring an unhealthy snack, read to the class, etc.) or candy or trinkets.

For HW I've used Homeworkopoly, which is a lot of fun. Just google Homeworkopoly and you'll see what it's all about.

This year I also instituted Incident Reports. It's a little like a PP Big Black Book. I got the idea from Angela Bunyi on Scholastic. It's a way for kids to report something that has happened to me on paper so that I can deal with it when I have a moment, reather than bombarding me during a transition or some other inoportune time. : ) I keep the reports in a binder and write at the bottom what I did about the situation.

Good luck! Hope some of these ideas help!
LindyJo is offline   Reply With Quote

uoducks

Get Fred Jones' book
Old 05-23-2010, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Tools for Teaching. It's an incredible book. Goes much deeper than simple class systems.

http://www.amazon.com/Fred-Jones-Too...4670650&sr=8-1

Brian
uoducks is offline   Reply With Quote

BRONX

classroom management
Old 05-24-2010, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am also moving to fifth after a 21 years in first and kindergarten. i have always used turn-a-card and liked it for my primary kids. Anything similar for intermediate? I am so overwhelmed by this sudden move I just need to keep it simple at first.

Also any ideas for classroom rewards. I did do a compliment jar and when it was filled we had snack with a friend, on blankets around the room. They loved the social aspect of it. Any ideas for fifth graders as far as class rewards?

BRONX is offline   Reply With Quote

Beckles

Bingo
Old 05-25-2010, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If students don't have to move their bowling ball (I know its weird but I'm a bowler) they get to write their name on the Bingo board at teh end of the day on Fridays. Once the board is filled up (it takes about 3-4 weeks) I roll the bingo ball for a winner. The winner receives a free book of their choice (up to $10.00) from Scholastic. I usually use my bonus points so it doesn't cost me anything. My students loved this and I did as well. It teaches them that they can't always be rewarded for doing the right thing. Just like in real life!
Beckles is offline   Reply With Quote

cowpig

Classroom Economy
Old 05-25-2010, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

After spending the first half of the year banging my head on a wall from the chaos that was my classroom, I decided to start using the economy system. I bought a roll of tickets at walmart and used those for the money. (I wanted to print bills out by we are limited on our copies.) I give them out like crazy! Students can earn tickets by doing just about anything - cleaning the floor, turning in work on time, following directions, being quiet, etc... It totally turned my classroom around! We (the other 5th grade teacher and I) have a store every Friday. Students can only come if they have their work turned in from the week and if they haven't been pulled past warning on our behavior chart. The store has all kinds of trinkets, but our students' favorite items were Beanie Babies and some pom-poms I got in college. We get some things from the Dollar Store and put in there too sometimes. Next year we are going to use some of our supply money to get items from Oriental Trading for cheap. We also have passes they can buy like popcorn, sit at the teacher's desk, use the teacher's chair, take your shoes off, and more.

In addition to that, I use a chart that they can go up and down on. Everyone starts on "Thank you for making good choices." Next is "Warning" followed by 3 different levels of consequences. Level 1- silent lunch or 10 mins of recess, level 2- no recess, level 3- office.

Hope that helps! Good luck! This is my first year in 5th grade, and it certainly has its challenges, but it really is a good age group to work with.
cowpig is offline   Reply With Quote