Help

Fifth Grade

Spiral/Notebook interactive

>

Readerforlife

Spiral/Notebook interactive
Old 05-21-2010, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be teaching 5th grade Social Studies this coming year. When I subbed a few years ago, the teacher used a spiral notebook and the kids glued items in the spiral and completed tasks within the spiral. The school called them interactive notebooks. The kids seemed to really enjoy working with the material and gained more out of the subject. Does anyone use this method? If so, is it useful and enjoyable? How do you decide what to include? I am looking for any ideas to help me make this enjoyable to the kids.

Readerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote

teachinpitt

sounds like History Alive!
Old 05-22-2010, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I taught History Alive! curriculum last year in a different district...It is the best Social Studies I have ever used...way different than old, boring textbooks--"Okay, let's read the vocabulary, review, memorize, test...okay, let's memorize the dates, study, test..." yawn...

History Alive has the kids acting events out, participating in team activities, etc.
teachinpitt is offline   Reply With Quote

trexteach

interactive notebooks
Old 05-22-2010, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Try here for a start--

http://www.proteacher.org/c/990_Inte...Notebooks.html

This has past posts from the collection board. You may also want to look up members such as ancientciv, swtogirl, and wig. They made it sound so good that I started using them. Do a search for their usernames and check out their past posts. I know there are others who use these, but these are the first ones to come to mind.

I really enjoy using these. I introduced it to my team so now everyone's on board.

Below is another really good site that explains the use of the notebooks. It's a history teacher's website, so just click on the part for interactive notebooks.

http://www.nonags.org/members/dasaunders/index2.html

Last edited by trexteach; 05-22-2010 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: added a site
trexteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Rumagereader

notebooks
Old 05-22-2010, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This year I started using interactive notebooks in my classroom--having the kids glue in items, do power writes after a lesson, etc. I LOVED it and the kids did too! The kids were more organized, had papers when they needed to study or finish something, and I didn't have the "can I recycle this" question again! It is a work in progress for me, but I highly recommend it! Next year I would like to do actual "notebook checks" and give points for making sure they have done the work, organization, etc. I got lots of great ideas from proteacher and some things were just a trial as we went!
Rumagereader is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachingKids

Interactive notebooks
Old 05-26-2010, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use these in science. I prefer composition books as they have a sturdier cover and the pages don't come out as easily.

There are many ideas for this type of notebook for any subject area on the web. I've also purchased Dinah Zike books with ideas for notebooks.

I reserve several pages (1 page for each of 4 units worked for my curriculum) at the front of the notebook as a table of contents. We used the same page numbers for each item entered, and I kept an updated table of contents on the front board, which really helped if students were absent. Some students write more than others, so to keep our pages aligned, they would label their additional pages 15b, 15c, and so on. This also worked for assignments that had several pages. We included diagrams, foldables, handouts we referred to, lab reports, and quickwrites. We even made pockets to store booklets we made.

My students really enjoyed this, and it does help with organization. Just remember to go slow at first while giving instructions on how to use the notebook. If you are clear on instructions at first, it will help all year.

If I wanted an individual assignment graded, they would turn it in, and add it to their notebook after I graded it. I also gave a periodic notebook quiz. They go to specified pages or assignments and record the answer they have on a page that's easier to grade!

TeachingKids is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 05-28-2010, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

History Alive! I've used a spiral as the OP describes- creating pages of activities and projects which the kids glue then glue into spiral notebooks for social studies. Been doing it for the past 16 years and they are wonderful! My district does not use the History Alive program but I brought the concept of the INB with me from CA where I was introduced to/trained on it. The kids enjoy the INB and it helps them make personal connections with the curriculum. We do notes, connection writing, mini projects, and foldables in the INB. What I really like about INB is that everything is in there and no pages to lose because they did not make it to the binder! You do need lots of glue sticks and to monitor that the kids follow directions on how things go into the spiral. But once there, stuff stays put!
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

mooseweaver

Wow!
Old 05-30-2010, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

These are great ideas....the interactive notebook is a new one for me and the concept works perfectly with the changes that I wanted to implement in my classroom next year. I especially am grateful for the information on the dasanders website with wonderfully thought out examples. Many thanks!
mooseweaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Readerforlife

Thank you
Old 05-30-2010, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for all the info. I am currently making a mock up for the class. I can't wait for my students to use the ISN. I am having fun putting it together and I know they will too.
Thanks!
Readerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote