Help

Fifth Grade

New to 5th Grade (Help!)

>

Beautiful23

New to 5th Grade (Help!)
Old 05-25-2010, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This will be my third year teaching and I am being moved from second for two years to now fifth grade. I am wrecking my brain on how everything works. This is a total different age group. Can someone please give me all and any information including any documents that you have saved. I have no materials for fifth grade nor any idea as to where to start. Please help! I am losing sleep and have been constantly worrying since I found out. Thanks in advance. The reading series is scotts foresman and science is hm

Beautiful23 is offline   Reply With Quote

cares4kids

Don't worry
Old 05-25-2010, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You are going to love 5th grade. I am finishing my 9th year in 5th. I would hate it if I had to switch grades. They are still young enough where they still love their teacher but old enough to get your sense of humor. You can go more in depth with lessons and they get it! Work on developing those higher level thinking skills with them! It's fun to challenge them and they love it!! Good luck!
cares4kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Beautiful23

cares4kids
Old 05-25-2010, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you very much for the encouraging words. It really means a lot.

cares4kids

You are
Old 05-25-2010, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

so welcome!! I would love to share 5th grade ideas with you! PM me anytime!!
cares4kids is offline   Reply With Quote

LM Teacher

Old 05-25-2010, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You'll do fine! 5th graders are awesome. They are pretty good independent workers but still naive enough to know you don't know what you're doing

Hang in there. Use the curriculum provided and go from there. It'll be fine......

LM Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Beautiful23

LM Teacher
Old 05-25-2010, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you again. There are so many wonderful teachers on here who are willing to help and it is beyond words to how much the things you guys share makes a difference. Thanks for everything!

scitek

Old 05-25-2010, 10:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hi

I was moved from 2nd grade to 5th grade two years ago. At first, I worried if I would be able to adjust but I was amazed by how much I enjoyed teaching 5th graders. They can actually hold a conversation that makes sense. Also they are so technology savvy which makes it fun to create technology integrated projects. The only thing that I don't like about this grade level is the amount of testing our state and district requires. This year I taught science to 109 fifth graders. Next year, I am going to be teaching both science and math to about 90 students. You will love 5th grade!
scitek is offline   Reply With Quote

GiantSubs

I'd be happy to send you some materials
Old 05-26-2010, 01:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

what kinds of things are you looking for? Do you teach all subjects? Do you know what novels you'll be teaching? PM me with some more details and I'll be happy to send some stuff your way! I know how it feels to be overwhelmed at the idea :-)
GiantSubs is offline   Reply With Quote

BRONX

Moving too
Old 05-26-2010, 02:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am moving schools and moving from first to 5th grade and I too am in a panic. I can't even imagine making it through the first week. I would love information on what reading workshop looks like in fifth grade. I am also curious as to the changes I will need to make in writing workshop.

Does anyone have a good resource for reading and one for writing? I will need to do a lot of summer reading.

Thanks,
Bronx
BRONX is offline   Reply With Quote

JoSo

Reading and writing Resources
Old 05-26-2010, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Some good resource for reading is fontas and Pennell's reading workshops, big book but they have the first fifty days map out for you. for writing try Lucy calkins writing workshops, she has one for promary and juniour grades that are great. The reason i like it is it incorporates the students lives as stories and reading is so intwined its great. I also like Cathy fosnot for Math. Just some ideas. You will love grade five, its a lot of fun.

JoSo is offline   Reply With Quote

binkbonk

you can do it!
Old 05-26-2010, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Last year I was assigned to 2nd grade after teaching 6th (due to staffing cuts). 21 days left, but I survived! I went into the situation with an open mind and heart - I was completely open to the possibility I might actually like it. It wasn't the best, but it wasn't a nightmare. I enjoyed it for the most part. I am sure you will find a way to make it work and at least be manageable. Good Luck!
binkbonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Beautiful23

Thanks
Old 05-26-2010, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Again I want to say Thanks for the positive attitudes. It has really calmed my nerves. I have my TE's for next year and have an idea of some things I would like to try but I also went on previous posts made on the 5th grade board and found some useful things. God is placing me in 5th grade for a reason and I am going to make the best of it and be the best teacher that I can be. Thanks again!

BRONX

Thanks
Old 05-27-2010, 03:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I use fountas and Pinell in first along with the primary units of study from TC. I hope it makes the transition a bit easier for me. I am also thinking of getting Mentor Texts as a professional resource. I will check out Cathy Fosnot for math.

I am sure I'll be fine in fifth but they are moving me just to be mean so it is hard to stay positive. Focusing on reading and writing workshop will keep me positive along with the help from veterans on the boards.

Thank you so much!
Bronx

JoSo

stay Positive
Old 05-27-2010, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

They could be moving you because of your energy that will provide a different look for grade five. Its a good grade, they have the needs as the primary you can just be mroe direct with them and they are sooooooooooooo much more independant, which is great. Enjoy and if you need any help along the way just post and people will always share.
JoSo is offline   Reply With Quote

BRONX

Thanks
Old 05-27-2010, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Just having a support system really helps me stay calm. I have to remember teaching is teaching no matter the age or curriculum.

I am sure I'll be posting often.

PB'smommy

I also moved
Old 06-01-2010, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

This past year I was moved from kindergarten to 5th grade. This is my fifth year teaching and never planned to go so high, but here I am. Once you adjust to the differences, it actually is wonderful. I thought I would be the last person on earth to ever say those words. I have a young son and we want more kids of our own. Having young kids, the upper grades are so much better. I don't have to spend as much time doing prep work, the kids are capable of doing everything for themeselves. This year, I had the opportunity to move back down to primary and I actually stayed in 5th. I'm looking forward to doing a much better job next year, now that it is my choice to be here.
PB'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote