Help

The Job Search

Any Jobs?????????

>

ClassWatcher

Any Jobs?????????
Old 06-02-2010, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anybody landed a job in the last couple/three months or so? Brag about it, let the rest of us know it is possible and that there are jobs out there. Congratulations!!!

ClassWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote

scottishgirl

Jobs????????
Old 06-02-2010, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have applied to over 75 public schools and 20 charter schools.
Have received:
5 mailed paper rejection letters sent through USPS, that were sent in response to my submitted applications (no interview conducted).
4 paper rejection letters after interviews conducted, Generic statement on letter like, "We have chosen another that best meets our needs," "Recent budget cuts have forced us to fill the position with existing employees."
3 electronic rejection letter sent via e-mail.
AND,
no response from the other schools in which I have applied.

I feel like I need to take my education degrees and use them as toilet paper. Very disgusted!
scottishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

EmilyP103

Old 06-02-2010, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've applied to quite a few jobs and have had 2 interviews. I was offered a position at a charter school but they needed me to start ASAP and couldn't guarantee me a position for next school year. I decided not to take the position because I thought it would be more beneficial for me to continue subbing and networking in 3 local districts. The other interview was for a private Catholic school and I didn't get the position....I received a generic letter via USPS. I've also received "rejections" via email for some of the other jobs I've applied to online but for many jobs, I have on idea whether they are filled or not!

I'm still keeping my hopes up! I know a LOT of teachers who were hired last August
EmilyP103 is offline   Reply With Quote

krika71

no luck here either
Old 06-02-2010, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was supposed to hear from a potential job yesterday or today. So far, no calls! I guess I should wait till the day is over, but I am not feeling hopeful.

Krika
krika71 is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 06-02-2010, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I haven't even managed to land an interview since last fall.

grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

berrygirl

Old 06-02-2010, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've applied for about 50 different positions since April. I've gotten 2 phone calls.

I interviewed with school 1 early last week and have not heard anything back. I believe that I have officially lost hope.

I will interview with school 2 later this week. It's an incredibly wealthy district (one of the wealthiest in the country), I don't know why they picked me to interview, I don't know how I could possibly afford to dress to impress them and I'm terrified. I have almost no expectations of getting the job.

Finally, I just finished up a mat. leave in a school that actually has an opening for next year. The princ. made a sound like I was a strong candidate for the position and told me several times before I left that he would be calling me to schedule an interview. That hasn't happened yet and I'm starting to panic big time.

And that's where I am right now.
berrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 06-02-2010, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
I believe that I have officially lost hope.
Ditto. I'm finding it incredibly difficult to motivate myself to fill out all these applications--most of them very time-consuming and requiring essays that often can't be recycled because the topics are too specific--when I don't even believe anything is ever going to come of them.

I've also started branching out and applying to jobs that aren't really what I want, eg. I just applied for assistant director of a preschool. They probably won't call me because I'm overqualified: They want a CDA, I've got a master's.

daisyflower

Old 06-02-2010, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

No luck here either. Two interviews last week and no calls. I think I've applied for 200 jobs. I haven't really kept count. Two other interviews last month: first one a phone call to let me know they chose someone else, the second one a letter via USPS with the same message. I'm also almost giving up hope.

Is anyone having any luck? Please share your secrets.
daisyflower is offline   Reply With Quote

gecko2gecko

Old 06-03-2010, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Well...I'll turn the tide here. I got an offer yesterday. It's for an elementary position at a charter school. I have no secrets though. I had everything working against me. I felt my interview was "meh." I set up a time to observe and then teach a mini-lesson but had to cancel the night before because of my daughter being sick. I had kind of considered it a loss and moved on. I got an email from the principal yesterday asking me to come sign my contract before school ends this month. All that being said, the only reason I think I was offered the job is because the principal really needs teachers. It's expanding from middle only to K-8 so he has to hire a new staff for almost everything.

The one thing I've been told at my interviews that the principals really like is that I've chosen to volunteer to get in the classroom. In my daughter's school, I've taught a weekly math program for the last two years while waiting to get hired.
gecko2gecko is offline   Reply With Quote

krika71

gecko2gecko
Old 06-03-2010, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Wow ... where is this treasure? I see that you are in Florida. I am in Florida, too, and I would not mind moving so that I could get a job.

Congratulations on getting the job!

Krika

ClassWatcher

Awesome!!!
Old 06-03-2010, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Congatulations gecko!! I had started to wonder if I should have posted to the vent. I am so glad to hear of your success. Don't undermind it by saying they had no option but to hire you. Celebrate and enjoy your new class come this fall. Sounds like you have really put in the time and effort at getting yourself a job. Wonderful! pm Krika and share the wealth if they are still in need.

Again, congratulations!!!!

krika71

Old 06-03-2010, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I tried to pm Gecko, but I couldn't find the link under her name to do it. I don't think she has enough posts.

Krika

grav_def

Old 06-03-2010, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Congratulations, gecko!!

I have some good news, too, for a change: I got an interview for that preschool assistant director position! I'm not too sure how I feel about it--if given my choice I'd rather do early elementary in a public school--but hey, an interview is an interview!

gecko2gecko

Old 06-03-2010, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm still waiting it out for a couple other positions that I would much rather have. The principal wants me to come in and sign my contract by next Friday. I still have lots of questions before that's going to happen though. I'm excited, but very cautious at the same time. It's not my first choice for a couple reasons but those may be things I can get over. I'll definitely keep you all updated. Thanks for all the congrats!

Krika...I don't know how to PM you. It doesn't give me the option yet. How many posts do I have to have?
gecko2gecko is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassWatcher

Grav_def
Old 06-03-2010, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I know how you feel about...It's a JOB!! Plain and simple, with the way things are going, go on the interview, love the job and cross your fingers tight. You can always try for another job another time.

GO GET IT!!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Miss.Mahoney

Good News!
Old 06-03-2010, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I just got offered a job yesterday!! I was sooo happy to get the call. After I was interviewed, I waited about 2 weeks to finally hear I got the job! It's a 2nd grade and I am so excited! I feel so lucky!

Don't give up hope!! I heard from many friends who are already teachers that they didn't get hired until early August or later!
Miss.Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote

daisyflower

Old 06-03-2010, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Thank goodness some of us have good news! Congratulations!
daisyflower is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassWatcher

Old 06-03-2010, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Miss Mahoney,

Wonderful!!!! Congratulations!!!! That is so awesome! Good luck to you for the next year. Thanks for the encouragement for the rest of us.

ClassWatcher

Old 06-03-2010, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Krika, try to chit chat with Gecko. Best of luck to you!

krika71

thank you
Old 06-04-2010, 04:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

ClassWatcher - thank you! I will try to chitchat with her. I am still waiting for a call, but I think the job is a "goner".

Gecko2gecko - I don't know how many posts you need to have before you can PM me. I will go to your page and chitchat with you. Maybe I can give you my email.

Thank you ladies!!

Congratulations and good luck to all of you who have interviews or have been offered jobs!

Krika

KateTeach

Old 06-04-2010, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I was hired for a 2nd Grade CTT position at a charter school.... anybody else out there teaching in charters in nyc for next year?
KateTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassWatcher

Old 06-05-2010, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Way to go Kate,

Glad to hear you have a job for next year. Wonderful!!! So glad to see several getting hired on, somewhere.

NYpuzzlelover

Congrats!
Old 06-06-2010, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Hooray for everyone who have gotten offers!
Not to be a downer, but I am still frustrated, numerous (more than 75) applications over past 1 1/2 years, mostly online since that is the way in my area, although I think it is a scam. For many, I still send out a snail mail resume (even though they say not to), hoping something will make its way onto someone's desk. I have received back exactly 1 polite rejection letter, 10 form emails saying that my resume has been received and I will only hear from them if they wish to interview me (never happens), and have had 2 interviews which I got only through a connection, which didn't turn into jobs. I'm trying to be patient (while I sub and sub some more) but it's getting harder......
NYpuzzlelover is offline   Reply With Quote

KateTeach

Old 06-07-2010, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I'm guessing from your username you are from the NY area...if you are in the city, they just released the new hiring restrictions for the 2010-2011 school year. It's pretty much the same as last year, go to the NYC DOE or iteachNY facebook page for details.

good luck....I just got a final round notification with a new public middle school in Brooklyn, so at least a few traditional public schools are looking for teaching candidates. I hope you get lucky!
KateTeach is offline   Reply With Quote