Help

Fifth Grade

Reading Notebooks for Reading Workshop

>

BRONX

Reading Notebooks for Reading Workshop
Old 06-01-2010, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering if your students use graphic organizers in their notebooks or do you have them mimic the format with columns and stickies in their notebooks? Now I have my students respond and glue in a reader response in their notebooks but it looks so messy. I have to come up with a supply list and I was thinking of a notebook and folder for fifth graders. I am not sure if a binder would be more of a problem.

I would like to know what works for your students and how you organize it.

TIA

BRONX is offline   Reply With Quote

Smartmouth

Old 06-06-2010, 03:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Lakeshore sells a reading response notebook that is really nice but it is just for writing letter responses to the teacher. Check it out, though, because you might like it. It has lists of prompts for both fiction and non-fiction.
Smartmouth is offline   Reply With Quote

NIUTeach

Reading Notebooks
Old 06-06-2010, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach 2nd grade, so I know what I do isn't exactly what you might looking for, but...

I spend the beginning of the year really teaching the different ways to respond to literature; sometimes I give them worksheets to go along with the method, but after that, they can draw their own Venn-Diagram or T-Chart without a worksheet.

They have just a regular spiral notebook that they respond to literature in. After awhile it is just them picking whatever way they want to respond to literature. I did have a chart that was titled, "Ways to be an active reader" and we had different examples of charts and activities.

I read somewhere that if we always have a worksheet for the students they aren't going to be able to do that same thinking without a worksheet. So after teaching the skill and doing a worksheet, they were on their own to make their own graphic organizers, etc.

If 2nd grade can handle it, 5th definitely can... Good luck!
NIUTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

BRONX

worksheets
Old 06-07-2010, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like the idea of not always providing a graphic organizer because the kids will not think on their own. Thanks so much.
BRONX is offline   Reply With Quote