Help

Gifted Education

classroom environment

>

endoftheroad

classroom environment
Old 04-06-2010, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Next year I will teach 3rd -6th grade gifted/talented. I want to create an environment to stimulate creativity and thinking. I want it to be OUTSTANDING! Any ideas??? I had an idea to name my room "Pangaea" but need some brainstorming in that direction as well. Also, does anyone "name" your groups? Do you think that helps promote camaraderie among students? Any advice would be very appreciated.

endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote

MizBee

Old 06-27-2010, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I like your idea for Pangea and creating an environment to stimulate creativity and thinking. It's going to be what you do with it and how the students react that will promote camaraderie.

I find it interesting what the students have rallied around in my classrooms. Just putting ideas out there and referencing them, including the students in decision-making, running with their ideas... these have had the most impact in my gifted pull out groups.

For example, in each group, the students wrote their own "vow" after studying vows like boyscout/girl scout oaths, presidential oath of office, marriage vows, mayflower compact, etc. This brought the students together and created something that we reference often as our classroom rules. In one group, I just mentioned that we would be working as a TEAM (Together Everyone Achieves More) and they ran with that for the rest of the year. We gave out multiple intelligence awards to eachother to learn about how everyone is smart in different ways, and the students referenced this throughout the year. It helped to build understanding of "intelligence" and helped the students value each other, too. In another group, students started making motivational posters that said things like "Do your best" and I posted them. Then more and more students began making posters (in their free time, of course...!).

So, I guess what I am saying is that I'm not really sure how to run with a big theme, but it's definitely what you do with it, how the students react, and how you respond consistenly with your students that makes the difference. Best of luck!
MizBee is offline   Reply With Quote